Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bukharinm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 04:02 AM
    Hard Drive not showing up
    Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him.
    I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer

Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it isn't showing up in "my computer".

I have gone to device manager and the hard drive is showing up under "disk drives".

Any ideas on what I need to do >>?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2005, 04:08 AM
    You can try going into the BIOS and setting all your drives to Auto so that it will detect the drives upon bootup. I'm assuming that you are replacing the drive on the same IDE connector it came from and that you haven't changed any jumper settings on the drive.

Oct 26, 2005, 04:12 AM
    Hard drive not showing up
    Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to translate data from him.
    I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer

Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it isn't showing up in "my computer".

I have gone to device manager and the hard drive is showing up under "disk drives".

Any ideas on what I need to do >>?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2005, 05:27 AM
    Why did you just repost the same question? Did you read Need's answer and try what he suggested? Did you try reattaching the data and power cables?

Oct 26, 2005, 10:21 AM
    Tried many things
    I did not repost my thread.. I don't know how that's happened. And yeah I tried what he said. It still give me the same things.
    I actually tried many things before but none of them worked.
    I tried to connect the missing hard drive to my brother computer, the same thing nothing appear on my computer.
    I tried to change the jumber around by changing the drive to slave and master. Nothing works.
    I even unplogged all the drives except the system hard drive and this one.
    When I went to the disk management it tell me that my hard drive is not initialized and the whole drive is unallocated.

Oct 27, 2005, 06:51 AM
    Sorry, but it did appear you reposted.

Did you ground yourself when you were switching drives? Its possible you burned it out. If it won't work in any drive, that's the most likely scenario. You can try ontrack.com which has tools that may be able to recover, but such tools are expensive.

Hope you had a backup.
    mistral Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2005, 07:14 PM
    XP Home SP2
    Hi there,
    My computer crashed yesterday and I had to reinstall Windows XP Home. Everything is fine now except my second and third hard drive are not showing in "My Computer"

I can see them on the bios and also in "disk management" I now that if I format the hard drives, I will be able to access them on windows, but the problem is that I do not want to loose all the data I got on them.

Is there a way without formatting to access the hard drives?

Thank you
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 13, 2005, 02:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mistral
    XP Home SP2
    Hi there,
    My computer crashed yesterday and I had to reinstall Windows XP Home. Everything is fine now except my second and third hard drive are not showing in "My Computer"

I can see them on the bios and also in "disk management" I now that if I format the hard drives, I will be able to access them on windows, but the problem is that I do not want to loose all the data I got on them.

Is there a way without formatting to access the hard drives?

Thank you
    If you can see them in 'disc management' make sure that they have drive letters assigned.

Just right click on them and chose change drive letter.

Nov 13, 2005, 05:42 AM
    You say your PC crashed, but you don't explain that crash. We need more details about it. Also are the second and third drive physical drives or are they partitions on the same drive?

Nov 14, 2005, 07:43 PM
    Hi,
    No letters are asigned to the hard drives, when I right click on them the only option is to format or properties, not other options available.

The second and third hard drives are physical drives and the crash was due to overclocking, but I don't think that it has to do anything with the hard drives not showing in "my pc"

Thank you both for your replies and awiting for more solutions.
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2005, 05:39 AM
    Please reread my post, it should help.

Nov 15, 2005, 06:01 AM
    Overclocking is messing with your motherboard. Its very possible that it could have damaged your drive controller.

Nov 15, 2005, 02:38 PM
    I've reinstalled xp home, updated to sp2 and updated chipest and mobo drivers, uninstalling the hard drives from "device manager" and reinstalling them, but still they are not showing on "my computer" despite the fact that I can see them on "device manager" and "disk management"

So... any more advice or utilities out there?
    Thanks.
    BossMan

Nov 15, 2005, 03:03 PM
    I'll try again
    OK have a look at the attached picture.
    It shows the Computer management screen with the drives.

In the bottom right pane it shows your drives.
    RIGHT click on an unlabeled one and you should get the menu.

You can change the drive letter here, also make sure that in properties the device is enabled.

Hope this helps
    Attached Images

Nov 16, 2005, 09:42 AM
    I will try this as soon as I get my new hard drive and re-re-re-install Windows XP Home.
    I'm thinking to buy a Samsung SpinPoint 200GB SATA-II 8MB for the master hard drive, what do you think? And I guess that SATA-II is compatible with SATA-I cables and my mobo Asus P4C800-E Deluxe.

Once again thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

NTFS Drive showing Unallocated [ 19 Answers ]

Hi Gang, My first question! XP SP2, 3 HDD's. 1st Drive Primary Active Fat32(0), 2nd Drive Data Fat32(1), 3rd Drive NTFS(2). The problem is that when I plug in the 3rd Drive, it shows up correctly in BIOS, also in ControlPanel/System/Hard Drives, but NOT in MyPC. And In AdminTools,...

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

Drive letter for added hard drive not showing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have just added a second hard drive, with the jumpers set to slave. The bios does recognize the drive and the ribbon cable has been tested and is good. When the My Computer Icon, the drive letter for the second drive is not shown. There are two CD ROM's installed on the secondary IDE...

Pc hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

? Dose anyone know if I put a larger hard drive in my old pc can you transfer every thing from the c drive to the new dard drive and I mean everything? If so how is it done? It can't be as simple as copy and paste C drive to D drive. Thanks for ay help. Bob H

View more questions Search