Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yahtoi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2005, 11:39 PM
    US born, french mother (naturalized)
    I am 38 years old, born in the US.

My mother was born in France and came to the U.S. as adult in the 1960's. She became a U.S. citizen via naturalization (at least that is my understanding, she lived in the U.S. for the number of years required to become a citizen).

I asked her if she gave up her French citizenship to become an American citizen. She does not know. However, she does not currently hold a French passport.

My question is, can I apply for French citizenship (dual U.S.) because my mother was born in France, even if she later naturalized in the U.S.

Thanks for any help (I have been searching on the web for hours!)
    juliegx978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2005, 03:55 PM
    French citizenship
    I don't have an answer to your question, rather have a similar question and wasn't quite sure how to post a thread on here... my father was born and lived in France until he was 25, after which he moved to Canada and became a Canadian citizen. I don't know whether he gave up his French citizenship (he died in 1968)... my grandmother lived in France until she died three years ago. I am also wondering if I can apply for French citizenship... I am Canadian, speak French and lived in Quebec for most of my life.
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Nov 28, 2005, 06:37 PM
    I always thought that if you were born in a country even if you moved somewhere else when you were born or if your parents were citzens of a country even if you weren't born there then you are still a citizen of that country. You guys should ask the whoever it is people about that. Whoever those people are. Id just say screw these guys and go where in the heck I want to go and make myself a citizen whether they liked it or not. Just get you a boat and plenty of food.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

French Citizenship from French Mother [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking into getting French citizenship for myself. Born here in US, 24 years old, my mother moved here from France when quite young and is still a French citizen. According to most of what I've read (in English) this would make me automatically French, I'd just need to get the...

Looking for brother born 7/2/47 [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking for my half brother who was born in Michigan on July 2 1947. I was wondering is it possible to get a list of male's born on that date who live in and out of Michigan. And is there a way to find spouses and family. Thank you Connie

French citizenship through french/canadian husband [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there - my husband was born in France. He's been a citizen of canada, resident of quebec, since his French family immigrated 36 years ago. We got married in Los Angeles, certificate issued at the Beverly Hills court-house, in 2003. I was originally informed that: 1) I had to wait 3 years...

View more questions Search