Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Artimaeis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Connecting to multiple networks
    I am currently a college student who enjoys downloading files. On my side of the room I have 2 LAN network connections, usually one goes to my Xbox 360 and the other to my computer but when I have large files to download I was wondering if I could use both LAN connections in my computer to double my potential internet speed.

In my computer I have 2 network adapter cards (built into the mobo) and when I plug a CAT5 into both of them my networking tab in the Task manager shows the 2nd network but doesn't utilize it. I notice also that the first network hovers around .1% - .2% utilization and that's when downloading 2 files at once. :confused:

Is there a way to utilize the second connection and if not is there a way that I can squeeze more utilization out of my first connection?

I'm using Vista Home Premium if that helps at all. :D
    jimsmith Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Your PC NIC's use two different MAC addresses (by design), the 1st MAC address is already used in the communications stream to download your file.

The OS is not designed to utilize both NIC's simultaneously.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Oct 24, 2007, 05:43 AM
    You can't make use of both connections to download the same file. However, you can use both connections to download from two different locations (i.e. different destination IP's). You'll need to make some manual changes which aren't pretty or practical.

Both connections probably provide you with a DHCP address as well as a default gateway. Your computer only chooses one of the default gateways to communicate with any destination IP that isn't explicitly defined in your routing table. If you want to use your second ethernet connection then you need to an explicit route to the destination IP to use your second ethernet address.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 05:52 AM
    As explained above, Only one NIC can be used for one connection but this could be a good research project don't you think?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two networks [ 6 Answers ]

Hi every body Actually I am working with computer networks... Now I want to know the connecting two networks... Firstly I want to know what are the devices and media (such as internet connection or isdn, or broadband) to connect both networks. Actually I am working with redhat linux 4, ...

One computer connecting to two networks [ 5 Answers ]

Hi well this is my dilemma I currently have two wired networks in my apartment. Network “A” has two computers both with static IP addresses witch connect to the internet via a cable modem and we simply use for surfing and the norm. Network “B” has our media center that we use for watching TV/movies...

Connecting to multiple networks at the same time with one PC [ 23 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a question about being on multiple networks at the same time. I have two networks at home, first I'll explain the topology of each of them. Directly on my internet connection, behind my modem, there is a switch (which functions as a hub I guess). Behind this hub are 2...

Connecting two networks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect two existing networks together. Currently there is a main network that has 15 computers and 2 servers with a high speed internet connection and static IPs. Second network has 6 computers and 1 server also with high speed internet and static IP. Currently second network connects...

Connecting to 2 networks at once [ 9 Answers ]

My home network has the following hardware: * IBM T42P ThinkPad laptop running XP Pro * Desktop Pentium 4 PC (clone) running XP Pro * HP Media Center PC * HP LaserJet 3030 printer/copier/fax/scanner connected to the desktop PC through the parallel port with printer sharing enabled * RCA...

View more questions Search