Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 06:36 AM
    He certainly is a fine dog. If you get to keep him you could name him George or G.W or even W after our president... he has one named Barney... j.k. that may turn him into a biter. Yes, please post back with what the vet says.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 06:38 AM
    Haha :)

Thanks so much for your advice :)

I will post when I get back today :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I have waded through 23 posts and don't think there is any mention of checking with the local shelter. Although some of the other ideas are good, the shelter is the first place people will check for a lost dog. The shelter should know you have the dog. It is quite possible he is from well out of your neighbor hood. My friend's dog escaped after being stolen. He wondered the city crossing a big river and a number of busy highways for a week or more before somebody that found him sleeping on their porch called the vet's number on the rabies tag.

I am not sure about the picture either. What would keep somebody from using this to falsely claim a black Lab?

Or a yellow one.

Anybody could download them and print them out.

The real way to sort out the owner is the dogs reaction. There is a big difference in how a friendly dog greets a new person and somebody they know. The real owner will also know a name the dog should respond to.

A week may not be enough. My same friend gathered up a dog from the highway on her way to work one morning. She had him almost a month before his owners returned and found out they made a poor choice of who to leave their dog with. The dog guide school insists you spend 30 days trying to find the owner before evaluating any stray.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Labman you are right about leaving dogs, with poor sitters. I found one last year that was the case. But as for the Aspca whenever I have called with a lost dog they just tell me to bring it in. I am not going to do this because, he may eventually get put down if no one claims him, also then to save it, I would have to spend money to get it back. At least in my area that is the case... that is why I never brought up calling the pound.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Unfortunately some shelters get very possessive of stray dogs. They are still a lost dog's best route home.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 07:37 AM
    The micro chip is a good idea. Another thought is to watch the dog's reaction to the people when they come to see if it is their dog. I know that my Tuscany gets all happy and crazy when he sees my husband or myself no matter what he is doing or who he is with. If this little guy has been without his family he might show some excitement to see them.

On the other hand, bushg makes a good point. There are many signs that he is not in a responsible home.

Taking in a stray pulls on the heart strings. Put up posters, see if you get a response, check with local shelters and the local papers for lost pets. If nothing turns up he may be better off in your loving home :)
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 16, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Look at those ears! He sure is a doll. I agree with labman in that a week doesn't seem long enough. I know if my Abram or Brandy got out, they could very well be clear across the state of Texas just meeting people, eating trash, and chasing birds. Abram especially gets so excited when it comes to meeting new people and smelling new things that I don't think he would realize if he was filthy, cold, and lonely. At a minium, you should post some flyers at the pound. So many dogs and people go in and out of there, you may get lucky. Definitely check for a chip. Heck, I've even got my cats chipped. It's worth a shot. There may be a family hundreds of miles away hoping for his safe return. At least he lucked out and got you to take care of him:D Best of luck to you both!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
    I am going to be calling local shelters today to see if anyone has called in about a lost Scottish Terrier... if not, I will leave my info in case someone does. I won't take the dog there as there is the chance that he could be put to sleep... and really there is no reason to take him there, as I am willing to give him a home with me if his owners never show up.

I do see the point as far as anybody being able to print up pictures, but I do think that added resource will help me narrow down who I invite to my home to see the dog.

I just got back from posting flyers and from the vet.

The vet took a look at him for free :) She scanned him and unfortunately he doesn't have a microchip, so no luck there. She said he is over 6 months old, but under a year... so that too will help me as far as having his owners identify him. She informed me that a male dog can smell a female up to 5 miles away (since he isn't neutered), so it is possible he could be far from home. She gave me business cards to local groomers, and the websites to local radio stations (as in this area, local radio stations have links for lost pets). She agreed with trying to locate the owners for a week because even if the owners didn't lose the dog, and a relative or sitter did... regardless, someone knows he is gone and should be looking for him if they want him.

So I will keep checking the newspapers, and radio station websites, and see what the week and weekend brings. If I hear nothing by Monday I will be taking him to the vet to get shots and get schedule to be neutered :)

Oct 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Awww... that's really great of you to do what you're doing. Even though I would wait a little longer for an owner to come forward, the most important thing is that the dog is being taken care of properly, and it seems like you've already gone above and beyond what the average person would do. Glad to hear he's healthy overall.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    I am going to be calling local shelters today to see if anyone has called in about a lost Scottish Terrier...if not, I will leave my info in case someone does. I won't take the dog there as there is the chance that he could be put to sleep...and really there is no reason to take him there, as I am willing to give him a home with me if his owners never show up.

I do see the point as far as anybody being able to print up pictures, but I do think that added resource will help me narrow down who I invite to my home to see the dog.

I just got back from posting flyers and from the vet.

The vet took a look at him for free :) She scanned him and unfortunately he doesn't have a microchip, so no luck there. She said he is over 6 months old, but under a year...so that too will help me as far as having his owners identify him. She informed me that a male dog can smell a female up to 5 miles away (since he isn't neutered), so it is possible he could be far from home. She gave me business cards to local groomers, and the websites to local radio stations (as in this area, local radio stations have links for lost pets). She agreed with trying to locate the owners for a week because even if the owners didn't lose the dog, and a relative or sitter did...regardless, someone knows he is gone and should be looking for him if they want him.

So I will keep checking the newspapers, and radio station websites, and see what the week and weekend brings. If I hear nothing by Monday I will be taking him to the vet to get shots and get schedule to be neutered :)
    You are a wonderful lady!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katieperez
    Awww...... that's really great of you to do what you're doing. Even though I would wait a little longer for an owner to come forward, the most important thing is that the dog is being taken care of properly, and it seems like you've already gone above and beyond what the average person would do. Glad to hear he's healthy overall.
    Well I will just be taking down the flyers... kinda uneasy having my phone number posted on every light pole (which is what I did haha)... but I will still leave my contact info with shelters, that way if the owners just take awhile the info will still be with the shelters... I would never keep this little guys from his owners if they came to find him... my main concern is I didn't want to pay to take him to the vet and get shots and neutered if in a few days his owners call... so I think waiting a week is okay then to start fixing him up :)

Thanks so much... I'm glad he finally stumbled across someone that would take him in :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuscany
    You are a wonderful lady!
    Aww :) Thanks :)

I am just a sucker for animals... let alone, ones in need :D

I am feeling kind of silly though, because my daughter wants to give him a name but I don't in case his owners do show up... I guess I feel if I give him a name, I am claiming him as mine and it will be harder for me to see him go.

My husband just laughs at me because I just call him "dog" or "doggie" haha :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    Aww :) Thanks :)

I am just a sucker for animals....let alone, ones in need :D

I am feeling kinda silly though, because my daughter wants to give him a name but I don't in case his owners do show up....I guess I feel if I give him a name, I am claiming him as mine and it will be harder for me to see him go.

My husband just laughs at me because I just call him "dog" or "doggie" haha :)

I think it will be hard for you either way. Keep us posted!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
    I will :D

Thanks everyone! :):)
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Thanks for updating us. You have been given some good advice. I know everything will work out as it should. Now it is up to the owners to search for him. Hold on to your heart for a little while, before you completely give it to him,because the owners may show up. Let us know.

Oct 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
    bushg agrees: posting fliers at the pound is a great idea!

When I volunteered at a high volume kill shelter in Carolina, there was a big bulletin board chock full of lost pet fliers that we checked every day against the animals that arrived. Right next to it were the animals killed compared to animals saved stats for the previous year. Underneath that, was a 'so far this year' board. The 'killed' numbers were gruesome, and that believe it or not, helped draw more attention to the lost pet board. Not surprising, the board was pretty successful. Enough for me to suggest it to local pounds here in Texas :) Every little bit helps!
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Katie I am going to suggest that at our pound here. Thanks for the info.
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 04:02 PM
    The dogs we slaughter at our shelters is a national disgrace. It really makes it tough for me to write polite, effective answers to the clueless that come here and elsewhere for help with breeding.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Labman you are so right, It makes me so angy and sad. I just finished looking at Dogs in Danger trying to see if the ones that were supposed to killed today found homes. Spaying and neutering and responsible pet ownership could help prevent these moral crimes against animals.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The dogs we slaughter at our shelters is a national disgrace. It really makes it tough for me to write polite, effective answers to the clueless that come here and elsewhere for help with breeding.
    I agree... that is why I have never and will never buy a dog from a pet store or breeder. My dog now was at a ranch that rescues litters so they aren't put to sleep... he had some problems in the beginning, but now is healthy and happy :D

And that is why I am so concerned with this new little guy... I won't take him to the shelter just out of fear that they will put him to sleep... and I want to make sure I really get the owners, if they ever call, and not someone just looking for a free dog... I want to make sure he is in a home that will take care of him. I mean the little guy isn't even neutered, who knows how many little ladies he could have gotten too during his journey! :eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Found my lost love [ 35 Answers ]

I am 58 and I recently was reunited with my childhood sweetheart after 40 years. First I would like to say that I have been happily married to the same woman for 37 years. I found my childhood sweetheart through classmates.com. I had posted a message and after a long period she contacted me. She is...

Sex - Needed, Missed, Lost & Found [ 20 Answers ]

I'm curious what most people think a good amount of sex is for a 29 year old male and 24 year old female? I currently (in a bad lull) am only having sex with my fiancé 1 time per week... At one point it was 3-4 times a week... I think a healthy relationship needs ADEQUATE sex 3+ times a week to...

Lost and found [ 3 Answers ]

I found a purse in a cart outside astore, brought it home and tried to locate the owner, I couldn't so I took itback to the store. Did I do anything wrong?

Picture of infant Jesus dated 70 AD found in Turkey? [ 2 Answers ]

Does any body know of a early twentieth century discovery in Turkey of a stone plate drawn on it infant jesus in his mother lab and inscribed underneath Jesus our lord? Where can I find on the internet or magazines?

Lost love found married [ 40 Answers ]

I had special feelings for this guy during my college days but the relationship just went off unsaid.we met after many years to realise that we shared the same feelings till date.but the situations were I was a divorcée with a kid and he was about to get married to his love.he married her and...

View more questions Search