Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    armrnplay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 02:51 AM
    Hipaa violation?
    Hi , I don't know if this is the right topic for the question or not, but here goes.
    I work in a hospital, and I was wondering if when talking to a co-worker outside of work
    Is it a hipaa violation to tell how many patients are on the floor, if that is all the info
    That you reveal? Thanks.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 03:56 AM
    You do not need to reveal anything to another co worker outside of work. That is the safest bet and keeps you out of trouble. If your conversation were, for example, "there were 16 patients in the unit last night" - that is enough said. I would not even say that much. What is work, stays at work. Never anything said about names, conditions, prognoses, room numbers, other staff or medical personnel. Maybe that sounds tough but with violation allegations slung around and suits being filed, best to keep the mouth closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Violation [ 3 Answers ]

I believe my Hipaa rights have been violated. I have sleep apnea and I recently had a sleep study done as usual follow-up for my condition. The other day in the mail I received a letter from a dentist who was soliciting for business for a dental appliance for people with sleep apnea. In this letter...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

HIPAA Violation? [ 7 Answers ]

My Mom works for a home health agency. When she did home visits, she became good friends with one of her patients and his wife. She now does chart review in the office. While reviewing charts, she saw a note in "Bob's" chart that his caretaker (wife) had unexpectedly died. She is also friends with...

View more questions Search