Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Oct 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Pell Grants
    What are your thoughts on Pell grants? Do you think people deserve them?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 08:44 PM
    If a student qualified for a Pell Grant, why not award that grant? Some students would not be able to fund their college otherwise. Do you have something against Pell Grants?
    gallivant_fellow Posts: 157, Reputation: 31

Oct 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
    I'm just wondering if anyone else has a problem with Pell grants. If they think people should just get money from the government. Do people want their tax dollars going to this?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2007, 04:02 AM
    I would rather my tax dollars go towards a Pell Grant for someone's education than have my tax dollars fund space exploration for establishing a possible colony on the Moon. I would rather my tax dollars fund a Pell Grant for someone who wants to make something out of their lives and get ahead and be sustainable than someone who shows no ambition and is content to let the government take care of them.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 05:31 AM
    I got a grant for being a woman over 35 returning to college. (It was only $3000) I will be able to earn more money and therefore pay more in taxes now that I have completed my degree. I also have a great deal of student loans to pay back.

I agree with shy, better we pay to educate people and allow them to take care of themselves rather than just pay them to sit and watch games shows all day.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2007, 05:58 AM
    President Bush proposed an increase of the pay out of the Pell Grant Program from it's frozen $4600 to an increase to $5400 by 2012 .To pay for it he would eliminate Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant Program(SEOG) . Congress recently passed the bill (H.R. 2669) and the MSM spun it to imply that it was passed by a veto-proof majority so the President although reluctant ,signed it.

I'm not opposed to applicants who are qualified to go to college being helped financially.I'd rather an uncomplicated direct hand out than these convoluted loan guarantee schemes that Congress concocts which I'm sure have huge adminstative overhead ,and often students just default .

But what I suspect happens in these cases is that colleges will now compete for these students with guaranteed Federal money and find a way qualify them and to graduate them. Will the over-all quality of college education suffer ? Possibly

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gov grants - any Grants [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new business for 6 months. I have been in this type of work for 11 years and have the same customers. I buy offshore produce and ship them to the states. I ship 40,000 - 200,000 pounds a week"or I did" I don't have the up front money to buy now. Does anyone know a good place to start ...

Grants [ 5 Answers ]

i'd like to know who and where do i write to get a free government grant? i'd like to know the direct link without having to pay for it. Does anybody know where i write to get a free government grant? Please help me!thank you.

Grants [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there are any grants for pasture or farm land to take care of neglected or rescued horses in Georgia or Florida? Thanks!

Grants [ 1 Answers ]

I want to become a barber so I need to attend barber college. My wife and I are poor. Does anyone know how I might find a Grant to attend Barber College?

Grants [ 1 Answers ]

how Can I Get A Grant To Start A Home Based Business?.

View more questions Search