Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bloodc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Adjustable rate mortgage
    I currently have a 5 year ARM at 4.5% interest we initially decided on it
    Because we thought our company would move us before 5 years. Now we
    Have decided we both like it here and know we will stay past the five years.
    We are currently in year 2 of the 5 year ARM. Now I am trying to decide
    What I should do keep it until term or start looking at moving it to a 15 or 30
    Year loan. What are my options? And what are the potential pros/cons and
    Costs of those options? Both me and my wife have good credit and make
    Plenty of money to afford our current house. So the so called mortgage melt
    Down should not have an affect on us personally. We actually need the interest to help
    From paying so much income taxes.

Thanks for the help

Cody Blood
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 15, 2007, 07:36 PM
    You don't say if there is a cap on the interest on your 4.5% ARM and if there is, at what interest rate it's capped and when. With your good credit and interest rates not much higher than your current ARM rate, what can you lose by going with a fixed rate if I am correct and a fixed rate is not much more than your current rate. Let me answer my own question and say that you could lose the difference between 4.5 % and say 5.5 % plus you costs, if any, to refiance (closing and other costs that might be involved) so you then have to determine what the interest rate on the ARM might go to in 3, 10, 15, 20 years and that's a hard one to guess at. If you refiance and obtain a fixed rate loan, will you have the necessary equity to avoid PMI, (private mortgage insurance) and if you refiance, is it better to go with a conventional or VA loan? I would with a real estate broker, another lender and your mortgage company, and then make your decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adjustable Toilet Tank [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a toilet with a tank on the back that is adjustable. I installed paneling to the wall behind a toilet and now the toilet doesn't fit due to the little bit of paneling on the wall. I can cut out an area of paneling behind the toilet for the tank. Instead of ruining the wall...

Adding someone to mortgage/lowering rate [ 1 Answers ]

If you add someone to a mortgage that has good credit will this allow you to Get a better rate and lower payments or must you refinance in order to do this? Torrie

Fixed or adjustable? [ 5 Answers ]

Help.. I am confused about mortgages. I am refinancing my home.. I currently have a loan that could go negative amorization?. and I want to change that.. I have been told to go with a 30 year fixed because interest rates are at an all time low... but my mortgage brokers says that it smarter to go...

Adjustable light [ 6 Answers ]

I want to make the brightness adjustable on a Milwaukee 28volt worklight that uses li-ion batteries. Any ideas for this odd ball voltage? Thanks:o

View more questions Search