Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Naini Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Unemployment - claiming wages made - check reduction
    What is up with the government? I am unemployed and have been since May and my husband since June. We are struggling to make ends meet. I found a part-time waitressing job. When I go to file my unemployment claim for the week, I have to report my wages made. When I do, they reduce my unemployment check. How the heck do they expect me to make ends meet??

Is there any way around this - legally, honestly??

Thanks
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Um... did you READ your unemployment packet? The one they send you as soon as you sign up?

It says right in there that your unemployment wages may be reduced if you make more than a certain amount of money. It ALSO says that you stop receiving unemployment once you have a full time job.

What makes you think you are ENTITLED to unemployment?

PS--before you get too mad at me, I just filed for unemployment too. I know losing your job sucks, and so does struggling to make ends meet. I know in my state, there is a counselor you can talk to about getting a better job, and maybe some training, at the unemployment office. Have you checked into that at all?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 08:48 PM
    Why do you think it is not "legal" they are not there to make your things meet only pay the amont allowed by law in your state.
    In TN for example you are exempt the first 60 dollars of earning but after that, it will be redused
    Naini Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Gosh - you guys are harsh.

I really was just complaining, but wanted to know if there was something I could do. I don't think I am entitled to anything more as I know what I paid into the system and know how much I will get back. Yes, I did read my little book I got when I first filed.

I do not need job training or anything like that. I teach Microsoft Office and have been a customer service manager - I have a lot of experience in IT and customer relations, it is just taking a lot longer to find a job then I hoped. SO... in the mean time I found a part-time waitressing job in my home town (to save on gas money). It is just so frustrating to get the money from unemployment and then have it reduced when I make a little over the 1/3 they allow. My unemployment runs out in a month or so anyway. I guess I will get money longer as my amount won't be used up because of the part-time job.

Well, thanks for writing back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment for those who were self-employed [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, We owned a restaurant for four years and had to close it down just about a month ago. When we had the business we took a check on and off and the rest of the times we took draws to pay our bills. Now we have no income what so ever and having very high financial difficulty surviving with...

Fired can I get unemployment in Tn? [ 12 Answers ]

I was fired from one of the big home improvement retailers. Reason they gave me was I was heard off duty saying something wrong about the company and manager? Can I get unemployment in the state of Tn? I know there first answer will be no but I want to know how to get it. Ive never been on...

Social security wages, medicare wages [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in the US on F-1 visa. I have filed federal tax returns twice and NY state tax returns once preciously. Both times my W-2 did not show social security wages or medicare wages (and the tax withheld for each of these). However, this year my W-2 shows figures on...

Privatization on Unemployment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, This is my first time of asking a question. What is the effect of privatization on unemployment

View more questions Search