Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tractorman Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Engine on MTD ride on mower will not turn off
    Hi

I have a MTD Lawnflite Ride on Mower with a Briggs and Stratton 11hp engine Type 252707. Its about a 1986 model.

The cutting deck has been removed and I have stripped it down as a basic tractor for use in my garden

It has been working perfectly but recently I have a problem where, when I turn the ignition key to off position and take the key out and the engine keeps running and I can only stop the engine by pulling out the choke. (which is not a good idea!)

I have replaced the ignition switch but it made no difference. There is obviously a electric fault. Does any have any advise please?

My local mower service shop suggested putting a switch on the dash and connecting the black wire from the coil to break the circuit. I have removed a black wire which is attached to a nut and yellow wire just by the throttle mechanism but the engine still runs so I guess this is not the coil lead!

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thank you
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 01:49 PM
    The coil lead will come from the front of the blower housing (front of engine) it will be black, and may be disconnected from the coil itself. To see if it is hooked up, remove the blower housing from the top of the engine, and look on the coil to see if the small black wire is hooked up. On a lot of engines, mice, or ants will get in the top side of the engine to live, and build nest, well, they may have chewed your wire in two, or it could be pinched somewhere, losing continuity.

Oct 16, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

I will try your suggestions and see where the wire is connected to.

Just another question? What does the black lead to the coil do? If the black lead is not connected to the coil is this the reason that the engine will not turn off?

Thanks for your help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tractorman
    Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

I will try your suggestions and see where the wire is connected to.

Just another question? What does the black lead to the coil do? If the black lead is not connected to the coil is this the reason that the engine will not turn off?

Thanks for your help.
    The black wire going to the coil is the kill wire. And yes, this could be the problem, but if it is hooked up to the coil and there is a bare spot on the wire, it is killing the coil automatically.

Oct 22, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Hi MOWERMAN2468

Thanks for your helpful reply.

Am back from holiday now so will get the blower housing off and check the black lead.

Tractorman

Oct 25, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Hi MOWERMAN2468

Have taken off blower housing and found the lead to be OK but the connection attached to a nut and yellow wire just by the throttle mechanism was the problem. The wire had broken inside the connector.

So a new connector was installed and the engine stopped by the key!

Many thanks for help

Tractorman
    no fix man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Hi I have a john deer la 110 some times it will switch off some times it won't took the blower cover off and there is no wire going to thencoil just the plug wire giving up can u help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MTD Ride on Mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a MTD ride on mower which came with the house I have just moved into It used to start and run okay, but now it seems to start and once a load is put on it seems to lose power after awhile and stop. Once it cools down it start s okay and the same thing happens again. Now...

MTD riding mower - ignition switch not starting engine [ 2 Answers ]

My MTD riding mower (an older model) does not make any attempt to start the engine when I turn the key on the ignition. (no sound, no turning over of the engine, nothing). It is similar to what happens if the blades are down. (But they arent). When I attempted to start the engine at the...

Murray ride on mower (425014x92a) bogs/stalls [ 1 Answers ]

When engaging the blade to cut, with the throttle on high, the mower comes to a practical stall. To keep it from stalling I have to quickly disengage the blade. I've checked two brake pads and they both release when the blade is engaged and they clamp the belt when disengaged. The belt seems a...

Murray 12.5 Commercial Mower - Briggs Engine - Won't Start/Turn [ 3 Answers ]

So I'm mowing my back yard with my Murray lawn tractor. I brought it back to the garage and parked it, went inside to cool off, and when I went back out to put it back into the garage, it wouldn't start. I turned the key, and got nothing. The lights work, the battery is charged to 100%,...

Ride on mower engine problem [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a ride on Snapper mower powered by a 14HP Briggs & Stratton engine. Model 287707, Type 023501 Code 9601084A I can start the engine with the choke engaged and it will run. But when I take it off choke the engine stalls. Do you have any idea what the possible causes could be....

View more questions Search