Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nanobear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 09:49 AM
    Bathtub Flow Doesn't Stop even with both knobs in off position
    We have a bathtub in our upstairs bathroom. The faucet has always leaked a little so we tried to fix it this week. We bought new stems and put them on. (I think that's what they're called... there's one for hot and one for cold, they go straight into the pipes and then the handles go onto them). While replacing the knobs, we turned off the water supply to the house. Upon replacing the stems and turning the water supply back on, the bath faucet runs immediately like someone is taking a bath. Even when the hot and cold knobs are in the completely OFF position. I think the problem is with the cold knob as that was the leaky one before and the water coming out of the faucet is cold.
    For now, we put a plug in place of the cold stem so that we can have the water on for the rest of this house. But we really really really need to get this problem fixed immediately. Any ideas?
    Thank you in advance!

There are only two knobs and no shower head. Just a plain old bathtub.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I think you may have bought the wrong stems. Check to see they are 100% exact replacements and that the seats and washers are in place. Did you do anything with the valve seat or just left it in place?
    nanobear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM
    I spoke with the plumber about this problem yesterday and he suggested that we replace the T-looking pipe in the wall. The stems were exact replacements as the hot side worked great. After posting my first message, I felt around inside the stem hole and it felt like sharded metal in there. I was told that the brass seats inside were probably bad and I needed to replace the wall pipe. It comes in tomorrow, wish me luck!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Did you know that you can repair the seats for less money and less time than replacing the faucets? You can buy a repair reseating tool kit for about $10 and it comes with a variety of washers. That T looking pipe in the wall probably has nothing to do with your problem so I am not certain your plumber understood the issue. That was not a good suggestion for him to make.
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 17, 2007, 02:38 PM
    I just had the same thing today with a set of Crane stems.
    I had them reversed (hot and cold) I took the stems and switched them around and it worked perfectly.
    Not sure if you have the same problem but its worth a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements? [ 6 Answers ]

Difference between cash flow and fund flow statements?:)

Hot water does not stop coming out of the bathtub [ 4 Answers ]

About 2 weeks ago the hot water was pouring out of the bathtub even though the handle was closed. I changed the hot water stem, washer and seat. The washer was chewed up and the end of the stem was pretty badly damaged. About 2 weeks later I was having the same problem, only the water was not...

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

Lose Of Water Flow In Bathtub [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my bathtub water flow. I have a faucet with one knob that controls both the hot and cold water flow. I can pull it out with and have full water flow only if it is dispensing both cold and hot evenly. If I try to turn it to give me more hot or more cold the water flow...

View more questions Search