Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    authe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Simple Harmonic Motion
    1. A light spiral spring is loaded with a mass of 0.05kg and it extends by 0.10m. Determine: the period of small vertical oscillation if the value of g is 10m/s-2
    kesavan Posts: 118, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2007, 09:13 AM
    This is a simple question.
    Try yourself first..
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 09:30 AM
    You can determine the spring constant k from the data you're given. Then set up the equation of motion for a spring & mass system, using F = ma, where F = -kx, and a = d^2x/dt^2. Plug x = A*sin(wt) into the differential equation, and solve for w. That will give you the frequency of oscillation w in radians/sec , so convert that to the period of oscillation in terms of seconds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Harmonic balancer [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get the harmonic balancer off my ford ranger, to replace it?

Oscillations - velocity of simple harmonic motion [ 3 Answers ]

Sir / Madam I have adoubt in the folwing section of finding the velocity of a Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)... I have encircled the place of doubt I have attached a picture file my doubt is how to get a w cos wt from d (a sin...

Equations related to simple harmonic motion [ 7 Answers ]

This is a really urgent question! If x=Acos2 pie ft, then how does f affect x?

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

Simple Rotational motion question [ 1 Answers ]

I've been getting help from sparknotes.com and I've come across an example that has stumped me. The page is at http://www.sparknotes.com/testprep/books/sat2/physics/chapter10section4.rhtml I'm at example 2 (toward the bottom of the page). The problem comes when they use Newton's second law...

View more questions Search