Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    worried_and_scared Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 07:54 AM
    NYC Buyer's trying to back out of a Deal
    Hi,

My husband and I are selling a 1 bedroom Co-op in Brooklyn. We had an offer from a couple mid-August and have just signed the contracts mid-September. But we just got a call from our attorney yesterday and she told us that the buyers' are now saying that they've been turned down for a mortgage. Given the current climate I know this is quite plausible, but I think they are using that as an excuse, because right after they made their offer, they were trying to force us out and pushing for a Sept. 30th closing date. They told us they were pre-approved to close in 3 weeks and that they didn't see the problem with being able to close by the end of September. Given our experience with the Co-op Board procedures we knew that that was an impossible closing date and we were shooting for one at the end of November.

The buyers are a working couple with high-powered jobs and have put down approx. $34K as a deposit. Our co-op is valued at HALF of what newspapers are reporting the average price of a 1 bedroom unit here and my husband was qualified for the mortgage on his own before we joined incomes. I find it very hard to believe that they cannot get a mortgage after putting down such a large amount. AS far as I know neither has lost their jobs since then as I offered to deliver the Co-op application package just last week and they were both working then. My gut feeling is that they were not turned down for a mortgage, but are trying to back out because the flip tax on the unit is 5% instead of 3%. I need some answers to a few questions:

-is it normal for people to enter into a contract without being pre-approved?
    -what happens to the deposit and the attorney's fees we already paid?
    -what responsibilities do they have to compensate us for taking it off the market, lost wages, attorney's fees, moving expenses already incurred (we're moving to the UK)?
    -if they can't furnish a mortgage denial letter, are they obligated to honor the contract we all signed?
    -are they obligated to make more than one attempt to secure a loan now that they signed a contract?
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 16, 2007, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by worried_and_scared
    Hi,

My husband and I are selling a 1 bedroom Co-op in Brooklyn. We had an offer from a couple mid-August and have just signed the contracts mid-September. But we just got a call from our attorney yesterday and she told us that the buyers' are now saying that they've been turned down for a mortgage. Given the current climate I know this is quite plausible, but I think they are using that as an excuse, because right after they made their offer, they were trying to force us out and pushing for a Sept. 30th closing date. They told us they were pre-approved to close in 3 weeks and that they didn't see the problem with being able to close by the end of September. Given our experience with the Co-op Board procedures we knew that that was an impossible closing date and we were shooting for one at the end of November.

The buyers are a working couple with high-powered jobs and have put down approx. $34K as a deposit. Our co-op is valued at HALF of what newspapers are reporting the average price of a 1 bedroom unit here and my husband was qualified for the mortgage on his own before we joined incomes. I find it very hard to believe that they cannot get a mortgage after putting down such a large amount. AS far as I know neither has lost their jobs since then as I offered to deliver the Co-op application package just last week and they were both working then. My gut feeling is that they were not turned down for a mortgage, but are trying to back out because the flip tax on the unit is 5% instead of 3%. I need some answers to a few questions:

-is it normal for people to enter into a contract without being pre-approved?
    -what happens to the deposit and the attorney's fees we already paid?
    -what responsibilities do they have to compensate us for taking it off the market, lost wages, attorney's fees, moving expenses already incurred (we're moving to the UK)?
    -if they can't furnish a mortgage denial letter, are they obligated to honor the contract we all signed?
    -are they obligated to make more than one attempt to secure a loan now that they signed a contract?
    Is it normal for people to enter into a contract without being pre-approved? Normal - no, but pre-approval is easy to get and means that the buyers have "talked" to a Mortgage banker/broker

-what happens to the deposit and the attorney's fees we already paid? Your Sales Agreement should have a financing contingency - if the buyer is denied credit or the terms are outside of the scope as they were written into the agreement then the Buyer has a legitimate reason to void the agreement. ASK FOR A COPY OF THE DENIAL LETTER. YOU DO NOT NEED TO "TRUST" THEIR WORD. The deposit is refunded ands you shouldn't have paid attorneys fees yet.

-what responsibilities do they have to compensate us for taking it off the market, lost wages, attorney's fees, moving expenses already incurred (we're moving to the UK)? NONE if the legitimately failed financing and the sales agreement you are using is approved by the State Board of Realtors.

-if they can't furnish a mortgage denial letter, are they obligated to honor the contract we all signed? GENERALLY YES

-are they obligated to make more than one attempt to secure a loan now that they signed a contract? NO not obligated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My EX Wants me back and I am not sure how to deal with this [ 6 Answers ]

I was in a relationship for two years with a guy that I very much loved and still love. We broke up about six months ago, and we tried to work it out but it didn't happen. Now I am talking to another guy and he makes me sooo happy. Today I got a phone call from my EX and he says I sill Love you I...

Buyer's Break Contract 3 weeks before closing [ 5 Answers ]

We had a contract for our house and it was off the market for 1 month. There were some minor home inspections issues. We went back to them with a resonalbe offer fix the "problems". That was not acceptable to them and they got an estimate from a consultant. We finally received the estimate from...

Moving From NYC back to MA [ 2 Answers ]

I moved to NYC from Massachusetts about 5 years when I went to grad school for acting. I have since graduated and have been living in NYC for 2 years. I don't have a job and have just been temping to pay the bills (which hasn't been working at all). I recently decided to get a full time job as a...

Live in nj working in nyc own a 2nd home in nyc [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I recently moved to nj oct. 06. I continue to work in nyc as a teacher my husband a paramedic in brooklyn. We also own our prior home a 3 fam building in brooklyn, ny. Should we fill out taxes in nj and if we don't does that affect our property tax break(nj) or property tax Rebate(nj)?

Is It A Buyer's Market or Seller's Market.. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello group, would someone please explain to me what determines a "buyer's market" and a "seller's market"? We always hear the "news" of the housing boom busting and now we hear more homeowner's are putting their houses on the market than there are new homes being built, but what does that mean?...

View more questions Search