Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sabering Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
    Labor law/hostile work environment
    I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was screeming to the top of her lungs. She continue to taunt me for two hours. Then she began to make vague threats. She said "wait until we are off the site, I'm going to catch you off the site." She began to shout,"look! She is scared.". I was not reallyscared I just did not entertain her because we are not in high school here. I was really concerned because she had a gun on her side and she is known to every one to be unstable. Will I be able to file a complaint against her for making a hostile environment? I also think that she was fired but I don't have a comfirmation on that yet. If she is fired, I am afraid that she will carry out that threat.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 04:46 AM
    Hello sabering:

Well, then I'd keep my gun right handy.

Will you be able to file a complaint?? Sure. Anybody can file a complaint. Who are you going to file it with? Your company? The cops??

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Why were they not fired on the spot? Or at least relieved from duty and sent home pending an investigation
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2007, 06:15 AM
    You should have reported this to your supervisor's immediately. You need to express your concerns over your safety to them. You might consider getting a restraining order against her. Also, you should be informed as to whether she was fired (and she certainly should have been).
    AngelicParadox Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sabering
    I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was screeming to the top of her lungs. She continue to taunt me for two hours. Then she began to make vague threats. She said "wait until we are off the site, I'm going to catch you off the site." She began to shout,"look! She is scared.". I was not reallyscared I just did not entertain her because we are not in high school here. I was really concerned because she had a gun on her side and she is known to every one to be unstable. Will I be able to file a complaint against her for making a hostile enviroment? I also think that she was fired but I don't have a comfirmation on that yet. If she is fired, I am afraid that she will carry out that threat.
    As acting supervisor, you could have saved yourself and fellow co workers a lot of aggravation by sending her home. I'm sure your supervisor would have supported you in that decision, and you would have gained a lot of respect from others by doing so.

If for some reason she was not fired (and you need to find this out), then you need to go above your supervisor and report this. Most companies when dealing with situations of this magnitude will fire people immediately for this type of behavior simply because it is a liability.

The incident you speak of is identical to a situation we had in our workplace a few months ago (cell phone screaming and all). After a 15 minute screaming soliliquoy the woman left the building, only to re enter a few minutes later. Some employees hid, and all the customers ran out the door fearing she may have a gun. She had only come back to punch out, but the possibility she could have been coming back to put people in harm's way is something to think about.

This situation needs to be taken care of not only for your own safety, but for everyone else involved. If any threats were made, I would file a police report just so it is on record. You do not necessarily have to press charges, but you can have it documented in the event the woman may choose to harrass you.

Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor law in pa [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know if a 17 year old can be hired to be a grounds keeper at a business. He will be running lawn tractors/weed eaters/and snow plows

Labor Law/Paycheck issue [ 7 Answers ]

I worked for a charter school. We had a verbal agreement that my salary for the year would be divided by 12. (12 checks) I received 11 checks for the year. The fiscal year was September 06 - August 07. Again, I received 11 checks. They are telling me that they do not owe me another check...

Labor Law [ 1 Answers ]

What are some advantages and disadvantages to join a union?

Work labor laws [ 31 Answers ]

Hello. My question is... in a manufacturing company, what is the law according to breaks? We work 8-12 hour shifts. Some employees work 8, others 10 and about 70 work 12 hours. There are no set breaks. Now we are starting a no smoking in the building policy and no one is to take a smoke break...

Work/labor laws [ 6 Answers ]

Can a company legally work and employee 26 days straight with no time off?:confused:

View more questions Search