Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    erbelady Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 08:58 PM
    My step sons mother wants to relinquish her rights so I can adopt him
    I know this question has been asked a lot, but I have kind of a different spin on it. My husband has full custody of his son(my step son) His ex wants to sign over her rights so I can adopt him. My question is this, who is responsible for hiring the attorney to do this and also is this going to be a difficult process? Any help at all would be great. Thank you so much!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Hello er:

If YOU want the lawyer to represent YOUR interests, YOU hire him. It's only difficult if she fights you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Normally each party hires their own attorney, or if agreeable, split the costs.
    If she is willing to sign over the rights , it is merely filling out paperwork and filing with the court
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Not really a new spin. YOU are filing for adoption, ergo, YOU hire the attorney. She may have her own attorney to represent her interests or not.

If the ex WANTS to sign over rights, then it shouldn't be difficult.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Neither of you would really NEED attorneys if the bio mother is in agreement with signing over her rights. If you want to take the "headache" out of making sure you have all the right papers and everything is filed correctly, they you need to get an attorney and you would need to pay for it on your own. The bio mother won't need an attorney if she is willingly signing away her rights... she doesn't have anything to gain, she is simply signing away all parental rights.

I would suggest getting an attorney just to make things easier on you. It won't be very expensive if the bio mother is in agreement with signing away her rights. It's basically just drawing up the paperwork... both parties signing the required paperwork... and filing it all correctly.

It shouldn't be a difficult process at all because the bio mother won't be fighting it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child abandonment/ termination of parental rights/ step mother adoption ? [ 2 Answers ]

MY husbands exwife give birth to his(our) daughter in Feb of 2006. He was in Iraq and she did not notify him of the birth. She was using crystal meth and the baby was born addicted. Someone notified the red cross after seeing her military ID and a month later my husband found out. The baby went...

Relinquish rights [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a way to reliquish parental rights on a daughter that I do not see nor know. She is 3 years old and seen her once. I have my wages garnished by the state for child support because she receives the TANF assistance. I will never know my daughter. The mother now has a new husband. Can I...

What is process for birth mother to relinquish rights to the biological father [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to raise the baby he is the biological father of, soon to be born. The biological mother, has two kids and does not want to raise another. She wants the baby's father, my husband, and I to raise this baby as our own. My husband will be listed as father on the birth...

Relinquish Paternal Rights & Adopt spouse's child [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband now for 2 years (legally married just recently). I have a 5 year old son from a previous relationship (never married). My husband wants to legally adopt my son and I know that my son's biological father has to relinquish his paternal rights. My questions are: do I...

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search