Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thetachi464 Posts: 93, Reputation: 4

Oct 24, 2005, 01:42 PM
    Question about dynamic ip
    I am wondering if there is a free program out there that I can use that will make my system act as if it has a static ip. I don't to host a site for the public it will be a site that I can go to get things for myself. I am thinking of having a ftp server so that I can access it from my friends house's. I have heard of programs like dns-to-go. I am wondering if there is anything like this out there for free or something else that I can do. I am not going to be hosting anything big and it will not have a lot of traffic so it would not be worth paying for a static ip address. I am just wondering what all I can do to set this up if there is any way. Again this is just going to be something that I will just be palying aroung with. Thanks for the help ahead of time.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 24, 2005, 03:38 PM
    Depending on the operating system, when you set up your network or internet, there are options to make the IP static. Check your Help File. IF this does not work, type in static IP on the search bar. Good Luck. I think there is also a program called anonymous for downloading. There are a few more, and I will look, as I think I still have some old links on my list for this.

Oct 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
    I think that I may have read your response wrong so I will say sorry now just in case. I have the internal network setup for static ip's but it is the connection to the inernet that I want to act as if I have a static ip that way I can do things like use vnc or ftp or anything like that. Again I am not sure if I misread your response so if I did I am sorry. But I am just wondering if there is anything that I can use to get this done.

Oct 24, 2005, 05:40 PM
    Also I am sitting behind router I think that will matter. So the program will have to be able to pick up the ip that the router has been given. Sorry that is an important bit of info that I left out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thetachi464
    I am wondering if there is a free program out there that I can use that will make my system act as if it has a static ip. I don't to host a site for the public it will be a site that I can go to get things for myself. I am thinking of haveing a ftp server so that I can access it from my freinds house's. I have heard of programs like dns-to-go. I am wondering if there is anything like this out there for free or something else that I can do. I am not going to be hosting anything big and it will not have alot of traffic so it would not be worth paying for a static ip address. I am just wondering what all I can do to set this up if there is any way. again this is just going to be something that I will just be palying aroung with. thanks for the help ahead of time.
    I don't know of any free ones. But it sounds like what you want to do is just access your PC remotely. Check out logmein.com. There is a free version that works great allowing you loginto your PC and control it. However, to use File Transfer requires a fee. What I do, is log in, e-mail the file to myself using a WEB e-mail and then download it on the remote PC.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 25, 2005, 12:26 AM
    The question sounds exactly like what I'm currently doing.

Have a look at http://www.dyndns.com/services/ they offer a free dns name service for people with either static or dynamic ip addresses. As you have a dynamic ip address, the only way to run any services like www or ftp is to have a domain name. The service offered here registers the name for you like "yourname.homeip.net" or something, and when you boot up, installed software on your computer updates the master "homeip.net" dns list with your current IP address as assigned by the isp.

All you do then is point your browser at your dns name, with ftp or www etc preceding it.
    Should work a treat! It does for me:)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 25, 2005, 12:39 AM
    Worth a look
    This maybe exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

To
    Tired of remembering your IP address?

Use our No-IP™ Free DNS and redirection service to map a static or dynamic IP address or long URL to an easy to remember subdomain such as yourname.no-ip.com.

* Run a server on a dynamically assigned IP
    * Remotely access your computer
    * Industry leading dynamic DNS
    * URL redirection / port 80 redirection
    * MX records
    * Support for 5 subdomains.
    * For personal use
    * Free Dynamic DNS update client
    Hope this helps
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 25, 2005, 05:10 AM
    Stu,
    Just curious but how's does that DNS service work with a router? Do you have to set the WEB or FTP server as a DMZ?

Scott<>
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 25, 2005, 10:43 AM
    You have to open the ports for the web & ftp and direct the traffic to a static internal ip address, but nothing as drastic as DMZ. The host software that updates the dns information on the server just uses the routers external ip address as a reference.

Oct 25, 2005, 01:26 PM
    Hey curly thanks I just figured that program out last night and it works great. I wish I would have noticed your update before I spent 2 hours digging around on the net.I got to looking around on the net and found that one. They give you a domain name for free and the program. I have used it and it is great. I have a shoutcast server from analogx. That to was free so I can listen to my music from anywhere. Also it works for my ftp I have tried it at my mom and dads house along with the vnc and the shoutcast server. It picks up the ip from the router and as long as you have the correct ports on the router open and redirected to the correct system you are running in no time. It gave me an address of xxxx.no-ip.info I'm not sure what all addresses that they have but that is the one that I was able to get. Now I need to know if there is an easy to use www server, does anyone have any sugestions on this one now.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 25, 2005, 02:04 PM
    http://www.tunu.com/sear/w/w/www_hosting.html

Hope this is what you meant. They range from low price to high price, but have a lot of storage to offer. Good Luck.

Oct 25, 2005, 02:14 PM
    I am going to host it myself so I need something like apache or samba but much easier to use. In my experience they are very hard to get going, or at least they were for me and a few others that I worked with. But if anyone out there can tell me where a how to file is for either and it is one of those apache for dummies then I can maybe get it working. Or if there is another www server that is easy to use then I will go for it. Thanks again everyone that helped on this I hope that it helped you all out as much as it did me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dynamic IP [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all the Experts,

Archiving dynamic web sites [ 1 Answers ]

I look for an application that can, copy archive and export, dynamic web sites for later offline browsing. I need a better solution.

Dynamic jsp [ 2 Answers ]

Hi:) I am doing a project where I have set up a website. I have added info into mysql. How do I dynamically get info. I have set up a clothes website, and if the customer uses drop down menus and selects "skirts" and "black" for example, how do I dynamically add the "skirts" and "black"...

Changing Dynamic IP address to Static... [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My question may seem very strange, but I've heard from a friend that I can change my Dynamic IP address assigned to me from ISP to Static without paying extra charges to the company. Is this possible ? Greetings,

View more questions Search