Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 12:11 PM
    You may not have meant that, Shaz, but it's very common. Maybe it'll be Rabbits instead of parrots.

Rabbit of Caerbannog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 12:16 PM

Haha yes the killer rabbit.

No, I was only joking, just had a bad run in with a Shepherd not long ago that skewed my view of them.

There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners/breeders.
    tinypitbull6 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2009, 06:50 PM
    Yea I understand that pit bulls can be mean. I have one she not mean she is good with my kids and other dog it is all about socialization. Hollaween 2008 I was walking her 2 mixbreeds came storming out of a house at us she didn't even snarl at them. I not one that judges a dog just because of the breed. My mother in law has a akita mix witsh bit my oldest son when he was 2.5. but the one that I seen that was real mean was her shar pei/ boxer mix who jump the fense and went after a old man and his golden. He looked like a pit but he wasn't and was always mistaken as one just because of his actions and looks. I love pit boxer and a lot of other breed even the st. poodle. I worked in a grooming shop try them min poodle, yorkies, snauzer, and chiuawas. Excuse my spelling
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tinypitbull6 View Post
    yea i understand that pit bulls can be mean. i have one she not mean she is good with my kids and other dog it is all about socialization. hollaween 2008 i was walking her 2 mixbreeds came storming out of a house at us she didn't even snarl at them. i not one that judges a dog just because of the breed. my mother in law has a akita mix witsh bit my oldest son when he was 2.5. but the one that i seen that was real mean was her shar pei/ boxer mix who jump the fense and went after a old man and his golden. he looked like a pit but he wasn't and was alway mistaken as one just because of his actions and looks. i love pit boxer and a lot of other breed even the st. poodle. i worked in a grooming shop try them min poodle, yorkies, snauzer, and chiuawas. excuse my spelling
    The spelling is rough, but that's OK. My problem is your calling a pit boxer or a St. poodle "breeds." They are mixes just like the ones that came storming out at you. Those of us that have spent our lives trying to purify and improve a breed tend to be very vehement about what is or is not a breed.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:07 PM

For one I only used mixed breed cause I couldn't tell exactly what they were mixed with the kind of looked like shepard/collie mix and are you sayind that a boxer isn't a breed I wasn't trying to put any dog down I was just trying to get to the point that any dog can be bad even one as little as a chiauawa
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:10 PM
    for one i only used mixed breed cause i couldn,t tell exactly what they were mixed with the kinda looked like shepard/collie mix and are you sayind that a boxer isn't a breed i wasn't tring to put any dog down i was just tring to get to the point that any dog can be bad even one as little as a chiauawa
    Very true. My objection was to the term "pit boxer." That would indicate a pit bull/boxer mix, which some money grubbing "breeders" try to sell.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:15 PM

He wasn't a pitboxer he is a sherpae/boxer mix that people mistaken as a pit all the time he was a really bad dog. .
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Very true. My objection was to the term "pit boxer." That would indicate a pit bull/boxer mix, which some money grubbing "breeders" try to sell.
    Exactly. Just because you give it a name doesn't make it a pure breed. They're still mixes, and mixes (love them, have two of them) are a crap shoot. You don't know what temperament you're going to get. They're not bred to to purify the breed because they are not a pure breed.

All dogs have the ability to be vicious. They're animals. A large part depends on the owners, a percentage depends on the breed or the mix of breeds.

Sadly pit bulls have shown themselves to be a violent breed. That's why there are regulations. You don't see regulations on poodles, because very few dog bites are attributed to that breed.
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:22 PM
    he wasn't a pitboxer he is a sherpae/boxer mix that people mistaken as a pit all the time he was a really bad dog. .
    You're not getting the point Cats is trying to make. The way your original post was written it was as if you thought a pitboxer is a breed. It isn't. A poodle is a breed, a beagle is a breed. Mixing a poodle and a beagle and naming it a peagle doesn't make it a breed. It's a mix and unscrupulous backyard breeders are trying to sell them as designer breeds, which is unethical and downright foolhardy.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:27 PM

Like I have always said it's not the breed it is the owner any dog can be mean it is just the pitbull that people want to get and make mean. They shouldn't ban a sertant breed they should ban people from owing them and if you can't control your dog you shouldn't have it.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
    OK I see were I wrote that at I didn't mean to put it that way my fangers got a head of me I meant to put pitbull, boxer. Its just when I am typing instead of putting pitbull I just put pit
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:32 PM
    like I have always said it's not the breed it is the owner any dog can be mean it is just the pitbull that people want to get and make mean. They shouldn't ban a sertant breed they should ban people from owing them and if you can't control your dog you shouldn't have it.
    I believe that I also said that, read my post.

The sad fact is, pitbulls are more prone to be violent. Not all of them, certainly the majority are well mannered dogs. I would never own one, mainly because of the cost in owning one and the inspections and bills involved. It's not cheap.

Also, even though I love all dogs, I have to say that I don't trust pitbulls, not enough to adopt one and have it around my kids.

Banning is done because, like you said
    it is just the pitbull that people want to get and make mean.
    They're a powerful dog and a status symbol. Sadly a lot of people train them to be mean because of that.
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:36 PM
    ok i see were i wrote that at i didn't mean to put it that way my fangers got a head of me i meant to put pitbull, boxer. its just when i am typing instead of putting pitbull i just put pit
    It's still not a breed. A pitbull and a boxer mixed together is a mixed breed. It cannot be AKC registered as it is not considered a breed. No legitimate breeder will breed them because they aren't a breed. They're the new "designer breeds" being bred by people that don't know the first thing about breeding dogs, they just want to make money.

That's where we're going wrong. That's why I don't condone backyard breeding. Like I said, I have mixed breeds, two of them. I love them to death. But, if it hadn't been for some mixed up money grubbing backyard breeder, they wouldn't have ever been in the shelter to begin with.

It's all about money, not the love of animals and not the love of the breed.

Dec 12, 2009, 07:42 PM

I understand that I don't think pitboxer are a breed I have one he isn't the brightest but I love him very much.just like the goldendoodle they aren't a breed but they go for anywere between $700-$2000 it is for the money they say because there trying to make the breed smarter
    Pets Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 07:54 PM
    i understand that i don't think pitboxer are a breed i have one he isn't the brightest but i love him very much.just like the goldendoodle they aren't a breed but they go for anywere between $700-$2000 it is for the money they say because there trying to make the breed smarter
    They're trying to make which breed smarter? A goldendoodle isn't a breed. I don't think you understand.

A Golden retriever is a breed.
    A poodle is a breed.

A "goldendoodle" is just those two legitimate breeds mixed together. They're not recognized as a breed because they aren't one.

When a legitimate breeder breeds he/she does extensive genetic testing, makes sure that the two dogs mating are the best of the best of their breed, so that the pure lines of that breed last.

When you mix a dog you're getting whatever you get. It's a crap shoot. You may get lucky and the puppies will be genetically sound, but you'd have to be really lucky. The fact is, you'll probably get a dog with the genetic defects of two breeds, the bad qualities of two breeds, the inherent problems of two breeds.

My bad. I also just noticed that this thread is two years old and the OP never came back after starting the thread.

Sorry mods. I just saw that someone had posted and I didn't check to see if it was an old thread. My bad. 100 lashes with a wet noodle for me and the person that started it up again by posting.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    They're trying to make which breed smarter? A goldendoodle isn't a breed. I don't think you understand.

A Golden retriever is a breed.
    A poodle is a breed.

A "goldendoodle" is just those two legitimate breeds mixed together. They're not recognized as a breed because they aren't one.

When a legitimate breeder breeds he/she does extensive genetic testing, makes sure that the two dogs mating are the best of the best of their breed, so that the pure lines of that breed last.

When you mix a dog you're getting whatever you get. It's a crap shoot. You may get lucky and the puppies will be genetically sound, but you'd have to be really lucky. The fact is, you'll probably get a dog with the genetic defects of two breeds, the bad qualities of two breeds, the inherent problems of two breeds.

My bad. I also just noticed that this thread is two years old and the OP never came back after starting the thread.

Sorry mods. I just saw that someone had posted and I didn't check to see if it was an old thread. My bad. 100 lashes with a wet noodle for me and the person that started it up again by posting.
    Goldendoodles, Labradoodles, Puggles, cockapoos, they all make me feel sick
    Not the actual dog, I have no problem at all with cross breds if people call them for what they ARE, not the name that some idiot slapped on them to charge more for the pups.

Oh, and thread closed ;)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2009, 08:52 PM

Hey Gals and Guys, these poor little doggies have are long gone, this post was over two years ago.

New posters come and without looking at the date.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pit Bull Insurance [ 11 Answers ]

I just got a pit bull and I know she would be covered under house insurance but that is my problem that house I live in does not have home insurance. Is there an insurance that I can get that just covers my dog. I found one site the other day but I have not been able to find it again and even if I...

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

Pit Bull Ban [ 12 Answers ]

I have a question regarding the Ban's on pit bulls in the US! Is there a list of citys and states that have a ban on Pit Bulls? I have a pit bull mix and she is my best friend and the best dog I have ever had! Were looking at moving some time in the near future and I will not live in a place where...

Pit bull has worms [ 2 Answers ]

My dog (pitt bull)has worms that are shaped kind of like a tooth, and he won't gain any weight, it looks like I am starving him. What kind are these worms and how do I get rid of them??

7 year old pit bull [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My name is Brad and I'm new here. I have a question about my 7 year old pitbull. He is in heat because we have a 9 month old girl who just started her period. My question is. What do I do if my dog will not eat while in heat? I know the vet is the best thing to do but I just had spine...

View more questions Search