Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 14, 2007, 09:45 AM
    My cat is vomitting!
    Help! My 7 year old cat Ginger, indoor, big, orange tabby, and otherwise healthy - has been with chronic vomitting for about 5 years. I have tried many many fantastic alternative type healthy foods - nearly every single brand of holistic cat food - Fromm, Merrick, Canidae, Wellness,etc.etc.(too numerous to mention!). He is also very very picky/finicky. I have tried various ways to prepare it, i.e. canned foods (which he very rarely likes), dry food - and because he does not chew, for a long time I was making the kibble semi soft by pouring boiled water over them and then discarding the water before giving it to him - but this still did not work and he still vomitted. So, now I just give him dry food no water through it. I have tried different foods, with grains, without grains, high in protein, high in fibre... I have really tried. He loves eating grass, so I bought grass, but recently took it away, because most often after eating it (so happily) he would go and vomit all over the place!!
    And perhaps someone may say, well you shouldn't keep switching so many foods and stick to one, but... No, I have not switched from one to another every day, but have tried to encourage him with one type of food, to see if it might agree with him or not for awhile... and if he would continually be vomitting it up it would get to a point where he could not even go near that food again. And he would be crying as he is hungry, and so then I would try another brand. But I do stick to one as long as I can.
    I am quite ill, and having to bend down to clean up vomit (which is found in several places at my place)off of rugs, or needing to change all the sheets and wash the blankets etc... is not recommended for my condition and sets me back terribly with even more pain. I now have him contained to the kitchen after eating, and keep him there as it is easier to clean up vomit off a linoleum floor. And so I cross my fingers, when I let him out of the room, but sometimes, after about 45 minutes, he WILL need to vomit... :( all over my bed!
    I feel such sorrow for Ginger, and just yesterday I was thinking that perhaps he has too much acid in his body? Any opinions about this?

Someone suggested a product whereby you alkalize the drinking water by placing a few drops... but I am not sure if this would be safe... any comments on this?
    I am at my wits end and do not know what to do anymore. At the moment, I have him on :( Royal Canin - the hairball formula. (Very expensive and not a company that I really wish to support... but I am desperate to find a solution and for about 3 months it was a bit better, he was vomitting it up less (i.e. every 2nd or third day), but now it has started again but the past week, he is vomittng right after he finishes eating. The vomit basically contains the kibble not chewed up. Sometimes after he vomits the food up, he still continues to vomit and retches up liquid... this breaks my heart. And after he vomits, poor guy will go rest and then about 1/2 hour later will be crying for food because he is hungry. So then I need to give him another food because he has just vomitted up one that he is not able to eat again so soon afterwards!

I have also tried (doctor's suggestion) to feed him smaller meals throughout the day and night. This sometimes helps, but not always. For instance, I just fed him this morning, approximately25 crunchies (they are very small and flat triangle shape), but he vomitted it up immediately.

I am at a point now, DESPERATE, to be thinking that perhaps I should try crappy chemical laden "regular" horrible cat food, i.e. Iams-type - yech!. I dread the thought, :( of feeding these type of foods and have never tried them but maybe he wouldn't vomit?

Has anyone had any similar experiences and any solutions? I would be very very grateful for any advice, suggestions etc. :confused:
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I have a cat that vomits somewhat regularly, but that's once or twice a week, not daily. If he's doing this daily, I'd be concerned about a blockage. So, has he been thoroughly evaluated, and what did the vet say about the situation? If you haven't seen a vet about this, it's definitely time to.

Switching the foods will only help if he is throwing up because of a food allergy or sensitization. My vet told me to avoid foods with corn and fish, because that seems to be the main triggers for most cats. Avoiding fish severely limits that numbers of cat foods that you can feed, but does seem to keep my cat from vomiting as frequently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vomitting cat [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old spayed female cat is vomiting ,it appears to be a almost clear with orangy specks in it she has never had any health issues before . She seems not want to eat today yet as she usually meets me at the spot where I FEED HER EVERY MORNING BUT TODAY SHE HAS NO Interest IN EATTING IT SEEMS...

Vomitting puppy. [ 14 Answers ]

My puppy is 4 months old or so and he's starting to puke. He's been sick for about a day. Then after got well, I didn't take him to a vet yet. Later on he got even better all normal. Until today when we woke up. Diarrhea and vomits. The vomit had some red stuff, which seemed to look like blood...

Cat keeps vomitting [ 1 Answers ]

My cat is 7 years old. Last 6 days she keeps vomitting she has been seen by pdsa. Gave her some tablets. Nothing working.can any one help please.

Vomitting in cats [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had renal failure but has seemed happy and social otherwise. Recently he has begun vomitting regularly. He is not vomitting up food-I have tried a couple different brands-just fluid. The fluid is mostly clear and does not seem to have an odor to it but my husband is becoming very aggrivated....

Vomitting/Diarreha in cats [ 1 Answers ]

:( My cat is almost 13. Always healthy and very well maintained. He is a fixed male and is not over weight. He was diagnosed with diabetes in September 2006. For the last 2 years we have had a terrible time with him vomitting 1-2 times/ week, yet 3-6 times a day on the days he does vomit! I have...

View more questions Search