Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 14, 2007, 08:56 AM
    What is the name of a job for a person going undercover in stores & checks staff?
    I would appreciate if someone could tell me the name of this job description? I would like to know what do you call a person who goes into a store undercover, and looks like a shopper, but is actually checking up on the staff. They check how an employee is working, i.e. are they polite to customers, are they doing their job properly. It is NOT to check on shop lifters, but on the employees who do not ever know that they are being watched and assessed! Help? Thank you very much.:confused:
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
    A snitch, or a mole depending on whose side your on
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
    When I did it I was called a mystery shopper.
    I would go in as if I was a regular customer, then evaluate how the employee followed general rules.
    If they where polite and followed the store policies they received a bonus in their pay.
    If not I would explain what was expected in the future.
    If handled correctly this is a very effective training tool.

Oct 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    I would go in as if I was a regular customer, then evaluate how the employee followed general rules.
    If they where polite and followed the store policies they received a bonus in their pay.
    Thank you for your reply! I live in Quebec, Canada. I would appreciate if you could tell me how you got this job, i.e. was there an ad in the newspaper? How would you do the evaluation - would the owner of the store give you a plan to follow, and would you need to do a write up at the end of each day? Was there an outline, given to you on paper, that you would then need to complete at the end of the day in writing, sort of an assessment on each employee? How did you get paid by the hour, by the day? Is the a regular type of job at the same store and for how often? Did you do this 5 days a week, 9:00-5:00 at the same store?
    When you say: "If not I would explain what was expected in the future."- How is that?
    Did you actually have contact with the employee after "the stint" - I thought that one would report the results to the owner and then the owner would deal with the results... did you ever return over to the same store? For how long did you do this? Was it difficult?
    Thanks!

Oct 14, 2007, 09:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken 297
    Thank you for your reply! I live in Quebec, Canada. I would appreciate if you could tell me how you got this job, i.e. was there an ad in the newspaper? How would you do the evaluation - would the owner of the store give you a plan to follow, and would you need to do a write up at the end of each day? Was there an outline, given to you on paper, that you would then need to complete at the end of the day in writing, sort of an assessment on each employee? How did you get paid by the hour, by the day? Is the a regular type of job at the same store and for how often? Did you do this 5 days a week, 9:00-5:00 at the same store?
    When you say: "If not I would explain what was expected in the future."- How is that?
    Did you actually have contact with the employee after "the stint" - I thought that one would report the results to the owner and then the owner would deal with the results... did you ever return over to the same store? For how long did you do this? Was it difficult?
    Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Normally even the store owners do not know who you are. The store or coporation hires a "shopper" company to do all the evals. They will design specific paperwork and what is to be looked for. Many stores do this and there are several major shopper companies that are used.

They will train you if you are picked to do this

You merely go in and shop, look at displays, look for certain items, see if they are stocked property, buy something normally and then come back latter and return it ( checking on return policy)

And no one in the store you go into will ever know you were a secret shopper. So it never hurts to go back personally to shop
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 15, 2007, 03:32 AM
    I knew the owner of the store, It was a franchise and he would ask for my help occasionally.
    I would never get paid for it but would get meals for free.
    Didn't mean to imply that I did it for a living.
    After each visit I would contact the employee and discuss the visit.
    He only had about 40 employees so I couldn't go to any store more than a couple of times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between job specification & Job Description? [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between job specification & job descreption? What would be the job specification & job descreption of the post of Accountant for news paper Add?

Quitting Job & Cashing In 401k [ 11 Answers ]

Here's my situation: I'm 40 years old, I have roughly $140,000 in my 401K including $16,000 left to pay on a 401k loan. I have an oppourtunity to open my own business and want to quit my job of 16 years and cash in my 401k to use as capitol. How Much would I lose in penalties and interest?...

My Staff is such a fussy eater & sometimes won't eat at all [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My Staffishire Bull Terrier puppy is such a fussy eater, I used to mix his food half tinned meat half dried but after a week of one type of food he would go off it. I have been informed dry feed is best but he woudlnt eat it, I mixed in real chicken but he eat the chicken and spat out the...

Old Bank Statements & Checks [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how far back banks save old accounts pertaining to statements and copies of checks. Did banks ever copy them to microfiche? I am really in need.

Insulting a person to get the Job done.how disgraceful! [ 8 Answers ]

What is the limit of making other, hard to crack persons, (feel) insulted / humiliated? To get the job done from them?:mad: Morally how far is this the correct way?:mad: (My friend used to work with a MNC in the capacity of Middle Level Administration & he used to tell me that his Boss...

View more questions Search