Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellisa0509 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 07:57 AM
    Converting a 3 prong to a 4 prong outlet
    My dryer is a 3 prong outlet and I moved to where there are 4 prong outlets, how can I hook it up?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:00 AM
    Red and black goes to the outer terminals. There's probably a strap connecting center terminal terminal to chassis ground, remove strap. White goes to center terminal,and green goes to chassis for ground
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:01 AM
    I would get a 4 wire Dryer cord. The 2 hots usually connect to 2 of the 3 outside terminals on dryer. Then remove the strap that connects the case(connect ground wire there) should be white wires left on terminal, that is where the white goes.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Doug, Sorry, you hit enter first. Take care. Randy. Good answer.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:09 AM
    No problem, I didn't tell to get a 4 wire dryer cord though. We both had same answer and hopefully will help bellisa out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 prong to 4 prong dryer cord [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to know when converting to a 4 prong dryer cord , what do you do with the green ground wire that is already connected to the frame. Do I replace it with the green ground wire that's on the cord or do I leave it alone, and place the green wire from the cord on another screw.

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

Changing a 4 prong to 3 prong [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved and my dryer is a 4 prong and I need to change it to a 3 prong. I am not sure which wires go where. I had a black, white,red and green. Do I take the green ground wire and attach it to the white neutral? My new wires all all neutrasl with the middle being the white.

Converting 2-prong outlets to 3-prong [ 1 Answers ]

I live in an old house were only a few of the outlets are 3-prongs. I want to change all the existing 2-prong outlets (as buying cheaters is annoying) to some GFCI outlets, but I have a problem. There are no light fixtures in the house, and all the light switches run the top slot on the outlets,...

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

View more questions Search