Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laura1067 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Defenses against a suit by collection agency
    I need to reply/answer a summons I received from a collection agency. The debt is very small(less then 1k) from 3 different medical providers. I believed my medical insurance at the time covered these debts, but apparently not. Because I only have <20 to respond, I need to figure out what I should say. There are attorneys fees and filing fees and blah, blah, blah that are being asked for as well. I am not sure if the problem was with my insurance company or with the provider billing them, but the research will likely take more then the 15 days I have left to respond. What is the best way to approach this?:confused:
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Hello laura:

File notice that you intend to defend yourself. Then you'll have some time.

However, even if you find that the insurance was supposed to pay, you're still going to owe the debts and you'll have to collect from the insurance company. IF they made a mistake, that's still NOT a defense to use in court.

Therefore, if it were me, I'd negotiate a cash settlememt - and THEN go after my insurance carrier.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 1 Answers ]

I had a collection agency contact me about a debt by letter, when I called to ask about making payments they demanded I pay the full amount. When I told them I could not pay all of the debt at one time they pressured me into giving a post dated check. When I saw I was not going to have the money in...

Need to naswer a Credit Card debt collection law suit [ 7 Answers ]

I have been sued by Unifund looks like so is everybody else. For a 3-4 years old Credit card Debit which I could not pay due to loss of a job and they Raised the Interest rates on me and minimum payment. I kept paying for a year or so then ran out of mmoney. Now they have sued me here in...

Collection agency filed suit [ 1 Answers ]

Can a collection ageny file suit against you once you've set up payment plans? And can they tell you that they won't except a certain amount it has to be more?

Collection agency [ 1 Answers ]

I have a bill collection agency that keeps calling me. Its been more then 4 year since this happen. Now there calling my family member and telling them and sending them letters can they do this tell every one all or business.:

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search