Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillynjguy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Instaling a halogen light
    OK -i have a problem.. I have a electrical box with 2 single pole(I believe)switches with one switch(left )has two black wires and a ground which I'm not sure what it controls what outlet in the room and the next switch(single pole?)with a red wire and black wire(hot?)going into the switch.Both switches have copper grounds and behind it is 3 white wires capped. THe second switch I'm sure controls the outlet I'm trying to install a dimmer to a halogen light but I'm not sure how to wire it. The ceiling box has a red wire,black wire and a white wire, there is a small bare copper wire to. The light transformer has a black (hot) wire,white (neutral)wire,and green to junction box. How can I tell if it's a 3 way swich. I tried to wire it with just the switch,no dimmer ,and it blows the circuit.. a few times.. now I tried wiring it in the air (not mounted) with a dimmer ( to see what wiring situation will turn on the light and it doesn't come on at all... I tried a few ways to wire it but its not working.. does it need to be mounted(grounded fully)to work. Why can't I use the 2nd switch without the dimmer?I'm confusing myself--im sure I need an electrician but firfure one more shot... please help:rolleyes:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Not that I liked the explanation, but... Lutron and Leviton Dimmers

Special dimmers are required for transformers.

3-way switches have 3 terminals.

If you don't have a voltmeter, which you probably don't get a test light. What you might have is two switches: LEFT: power between white and black in ceiling fixture. RIGHT: power between white and red in ceiling fixture.

I'm really confused about this statement: "THe second switch im sure controls the outlet im trying to install a dimmer..."

The switch either does or doesn't control the outlet.
    You don't install dimmers in outlets.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2007, 09:37 PM
    I am a little confused. Do you have a black/white/bare cable coming into the switch box, the black connected to one screw of each switch. Then a red/black/white/bare cable with the red and black connected to the second screws of the switches? Then that cable goes to the light fixture? There are several ways to wire 3 way switches, but none of them have just a 3 conductor cable at the light. Most likely what you have is 2 single throw switches meant to control either 2 lights or a light/fan.

You should be able to ignore one switch and the red wire. Replace the other switch with a dimmer meant for the light. If the dimmer has 3 wires, identify the common, perhaps black, and connect the black from the black/white feed pair to it. Connect one of the other wires to the black wire from the 3 wire cable. At the light fixture, connect the black and white wires to the transformer input. Cap off the red wire at both ends.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 06:01 AM
    I have ran into switches that do nothing, pulling out switch and finding both connections on single pole switch were hot, even in the off position. Usually the problem was failure to remove tab on receptacle.
    You would need to test both halves of receptacle to verify.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diagram for instaling belt on 42" craftsman mower [ 1 Answers ]

Please direct me on how to install two belts and which belt first?

Instaling 2 shower heads/regulator [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to install 2 shower heads with independent controls for temperature on each side of my shower. 2 people could use the same shower and have their own shower head and setting. I would use the same hot/cold feed to split from, and was wondering if the pressure and/or temperature would be...

Halogen Track Light blowing bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I added a third light (one that had been sitting in my closet for years) to one of my tracks which immediately blew the bulbs in the other two lights. Thinking the light to be defective, or perhaps the limit on the track to be 2 not 3, I removed it and replaced the bulbs in the other two lights....

Instaling new flange [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a house and my wife wanted tile floor. So we took out the existing toilet and installed tile. When I went back to replace the toilet I discovered that the existing flange was installed incorrectly. The slots for the bolts were up and down instead of left to right. Because we have a...

View more questions Search