Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melomelo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Chest pain and high blood pressure
    I have had 3 separate episodes that ended in being taken to the emergency room. I am a 64 year old female, with no history of heart disease. The first time ,I passed out, was taken in and they said my potassium was 2.5, but could find nothing else, except for high blood pressure. The second time, I felt pressure on my chest and a severe headache and was taken, at the hospital they did a cat scan and said small heart murmur, but nothing bad and released me. A week later, I was at the Doctor's office and Felt the same thing, I did not pass out and felt much better after they gave me oxygen and nitroglycerin, the chest pain was gone, but they admitted me to the hospital. They did an angiogram and it showed everything was fine. I am very confused as to what is going on and they do not seem to know. Any guesses?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Well, my wife, her father, her mother, and two brothers all had heart problems ranging from heart attack to stints to by pass surgerys and all the test ran when they went to one of the countrys top 100 cardiology hospitals ALWAYS showed no sign of heart attack or any blockages. The blood work, the ekg, all the testing showed no signs of complications. However, when they go in with a ballon, or to do a heart catherization, that is when they have found blockages and had to make repairs. So the test do not always show up the problems. Find a highly recommended cardiologist.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Mel, Flying eagle is right the same happened to my mother-in-law. She ended up having a triple by pass in 1999, 3 days after she went to the hospital for chest pain and hurting/numbness of arm and shoulder. Insist they to do more testing on you. Good luck
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2007, 08:53 AM
    Try Co Q10 and Omega 3 for a month and see if that helps any.

Also the things on this page

Preventions Healing with Vitamins Angina

I take all these and never had any heart problems.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Melomelo:

High blood pressure and low potassium?
    eMedicine - Conn Syndrome : Article by Serge A Jabbour

Other things that may cause heart pain, given that your angiogram did not indicate a significant narrowing or blockage of a coronary/heart artery, may be

An irregular and or abnormally fast heart rate. It may last long enough to cause symptoms then return to normal the majority of time. - an event monitor or holter monitor can test for abnormal rhythms.

A heart valve problem since you mentioned having a murmur. However, an angiogram can also assess this. An echocardiogram can also assess your heart valve function.

To PREVENT a heart attack reduce your risk.
    - if you smoke, try to quit
    - if you have high blood pressure - control it
    - if you have diabetes, try to keep your blood sugars as close to normal as possible
    - if you have high cholesterol, again control it. There are standard ideal goals for the last 3.

If your work up for heart conditions is okay, acid reflux/heartburn/gerd can also cause chest pain. So can panic attacks.

Best of health.

Grace and Peace
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 06:43 PM
    I know that a heart cath. Is not all that much fun but IN THE END IT TELL THE TRUTH< ALL THOSE OTHER TESTS A LOT OF THE TIME ON SOME PEOPLE JUST DO TELL ANYTHING::::::: . MY wife's heart doctor said ( QUote) I KNOW THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG EVEN THOUGH ALL THESE INSTURMENTS SAY There's NOTHING WRONG<THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE IS DO HEART CATH. ) he did and found 3 blockages the first time. Since she has a total of9 stints and last summer had 5 by- passes, open heart' her brother 1 week later in another city 120 miles away , had 5 bypasses . I was in very good healthand all at once my blood pressure went sky high .now I have a stint in rt. Kidney an d one 3 1/2" long on rt side of my heart. Iv'e had enough exp. Since 89, really since 64 my mom died at 46 with heart attact. So I do know what I am talking about, as for low potassiom that's negitve. F. B. E.
    DoctorK Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 10:39 PM
    As many of the answers already told you, there are a number of other test that need be done in your case, and you must be sure to demand from your doctor to perform them, including cath. These other tests may show that the origin of your pain is in the coronary arteries, so ask for them, and do not take the simple answer "I do not see anything in these tests" for granted. Find an experience cardiologist to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that by drinking a class of red wine helps lower your bloods pressure, is that true, if so, which red wines are the sweetest and taste more like fruit?

High Blood Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a senior citizen, was told in the past month I have High Blood pressure, my medication Lisinopril 20mg 2 daily Toprol XL 50mg 1 daily ? My pulse rate has come down quite a bit, my Blood pressure has come down a little In my limited knowledge, I thought when the heart didn't pump...

I'm a senior citizen, was told in the past month I have High Blood pressure my medication Lisinopril 20mg 2 daily Toprol XL 50mg 1 daily ? My pulse rate has come down quite a bit, my Blood pressure has come down a little In my limited knowledge, I thought when the heart didn't pump...

I'm a senior citizen, was told in the past month I have High Blood pressure my medication Lisinopril 20mg 2 daily Toprol XL 50mg 1 daily ? My pulse rate has come down quite a bit, my Blood pressure has come down a little In my limited knowledge, I thought when the heart didn't pump...

View more questions Search