Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Oct 23, 2005, 07:24 AM
    Disinfecting for Kennel Cough?
    Does anyone have experience with disinfecting their house and yard and dog beds/kennels with the germ that causes kennel cough? I know about bleach mixtures, but that seems too caustic for metals crates, loungers and others.

In doing a favor for a rescue group yesterday, I may have infected my own dogs. The foster mom didn't tell me they were sick with something!

I'm transporting two rescue "seniors" to a "retirement" home a little later. I had to keep them overnight; but that is another story. This owner happens to be a retired vet so I will ask her the same question.

It will probably be all right, but I just needed to get this off my chest.

:o

Labman, thanks for the compliment on the other thread. Much appreciated!

Oct 23, 2005, 11:08 AM
    It's OK
    Sorry if I've alarmed anyone. I just found out that the boy's cough is due to a botched debarking operation. He's got scar tissue that he coughs on. So sad.
    :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2005, 11:30 AM
    I do know bleach is the only thing that works on parvo. I don't remember instructions on kennel cough.

The botched debarking is sad, but at least not a threat to your own dogs.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 23, 2005, 01:31 PM
    May I suggest that you keep your local vet's telephone number available along with the rest of your emergency numbers. There might be something environmentally safer to use except for bleach. Good Luck.

Oct 23, 2005, 03:47 PM
    It was Kennel Cough after all!
    The vet said that one of the dogs *does* have kennel cough and that it isn't the end of the world except for very weaken dogs. She said dogs pick it up in the shelters when they aren't vaccinated before hand. That they are vaccinated on intake but that is too late because it takes 48 hours to build immunity. She gave me four doses of the nasal spray for my dogs that have been exposed. Oh joy! What fun this will be in a few minutes. :eek: I will Chery call around and see about what you suggest. Thanks all!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2005, 04:28 PM
    In order to reduce the medications we pour into our dogs, some vets skip kennel cough for stay at home pets. It is important for any dog that is going to be exposed to many other dogs, especially ones of doubtful health care. Likely a good idea for any dog in a neighborhood plagued with loose running dogs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Month old baby has a stuffy nose and a cough [ 13 Answers ]

I have a month old baby. He has a stuffy nose and a cough. I took him to his doctor but the doctor says he's too young to take medicine. He has hard time sleeping, and I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions what to do?:(

My cat has a cough [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2-year old male cale, with all shots, not neutured. He has been very healthy until now. He has developed a cough. I thought maybe it might be a hair ball because he had been licking his fur, it has been a week now and he is still coughing, acting like he has to throw up but doesn't. ...

Mini Dachshund with Kennel Cough [ 3 Answers ]

We just picked up our eight-week old Mini Dachshund from his breeder this week. We have a one year old Dachshund/Pomeranian mix that we got last year. The baby has had a weird cough since we picked him up, and I called the vet to see if I could get him an appointment. After finding a caring...

Board dogs in kennel or at-home dog sitter? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I would like advice on how to take care of our dogs when we go away. We have two dogs in our house. We are going away for 4 days, and wonder if they would be happier staying at home alone (with a dog sitter making visits 3 times a day) of if they would be happier being boarded at a kennel...

View more questions Search