Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Den45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
    Greenboard overlapping surround
    I have installed a new tub surround and am ready to install drywall (greenboard). The surround has a lip that is to be covered by the drywall. My question is... are there any special tricks or tips to making the joint smooth and especially water tight? I read a help forum that said to caulk with 100% silicone but 100% silicone is not paintable! ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD APPRECIATED.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Oct 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
    The green board will lap onto the flange of the surround, it doesn't have to touch the top of the surround, in fact it can stay a 1/4" a way, what you'll need to do is run a piece of drywall tape along the edge of the drywall and let it touch the top of the surround, follow this with 3 coats of mudd, and sand, prime, paint,
    As far as water tight, you shouldn't have water up on top of the surround anyway, it also has the surround lip that is made for keeping water from getting behind the surround.
    As for the caulk you can use silicone under the drywall before you tape the joint between the shower surround and sheetrock edge
    johnietee Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2007, 08:59 PM
    There is a vinyl strip that you can get at the home depot to make this transition it should be in the same section as the spakle or corner bead
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Oct 30, 2007, 02:49 PM
    You should consider using Densboard instead of greenboard. As far as the lip is concerned, the seal between the backboard and the surround will be taken care of if you overlap the lip at least by 1/2" and then the surface (tile? Stone?) will provide the water tight seal between the surface and the backboard.

Once you have set the tile, then you can place the silicone at the seam between the bottom of the backboard and the surround lip.

You shouldn't have a problem with the joint at the bottom of the surround since it's made to fit in this fashion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub surround [ 1 Answers ]

What is best way to remove a tub surround?

Greenboard or Cement Backerboard for tiling a shower stall [ 4 Answers ]

I need to tile a shower stall, I have removed the old tile and sheet rock, and yes it was sheet rock, the house was built in 1969. My question is what do folks recommend, green board or cement backer board.

Durock -taping and where it meets the greenboard in shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am fairly handy but I am having some concerns with the durock I just hung in our tub/shower. I made sure all joints were tight but am a bit confused on what to use to seal those joints. I have heard do not use a premix thinset, that’s fine but I also heard on the site that some people do their...

Tub surround [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have some unattractive tile surrounding my tub/shower combo which continues up to the ceiling. I am questioning how easy it is to coverup the existing tile with the DIY shower surrounds. Can they be installed directly over top of the existing tile? I'm wondering if this is the easier,...

Installing greenboard around a tub [ 1 Answers ]

When installing greenboard around a tub with an integral "tiling flange," should I install the green board down to the top of the flange or extend it down over the flange to rest directly on the tub edge or shelf? The flange extends 7/8" up from the tub edge (or shelf), is 3/8" thick and is butted...

View more questions Search