Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    supermommy25 Posts: 39, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Any suggestions, what can I do?
    I am a single mother of two. I just recently had a baby girl this summer, and although she is wonderful, it has been hell for me ever since... Where do I start?? Last summer my car was repossessed because I could not afford to keep it and pay my rent and other bills on my fixed income, so my mother lent me one of her cars.
    Okay now the day I had my new baby this past July... the car was towed from in front of my building for having a expired temporary parking pass. Which was about $130.00. Mind you I don't work and have not worked my entire pregnancy, because I was let go from my security job because I was pregnant. I did receive unemployment but that only lasted for a few months. Any ways that was the first thing, mind you it is bad enough that I had to get a scheduled c-section. Now when I came home from the hospital (very very sore and I could barely move around as I wanted) about a week later the car my mother lent to me was stolen from in front of my apt. building with the keys in the ignition. I know you are saying "why the hell were the keys in the car?" I had a friend go and start the car for me on their way out so I could go take the baby to a WIC appointment. When I went outside the car was gone... of course I am blowing up my friends phone like where is the car I thought she was playing around... she said it is parked in front of the building, mind you I'm standing in the parking lot and the car is no where to be found.. so I just hung up and called the police they came out and made a report... Now the following week the car was found with the Juveniles in the car. The car was damaged when the police were trying to apprehend the crooks, so it is no longer drivable... it was towed to the local police station until I was able to get the car out... mind you again I don't work so the little money that I do have coming in I am trying to keep my rent and bills paid which I am barely getting done with no help... I have been faced with eviction notice after eviction notice... SOOOO I have been trying to get the police officers at the station to work with me and just hold the car until I can come up with the money to get it out. They are making me pay for the towing from when they caught the crooks, the car had to be towed to the police station. Now since the car is in my mother's name they would not notify me for anything they would notify her. I love my mother dearly but some times she is a little DUHHHHHHH.. according to the police station and the abandoned car place they say they have been trying to contact my mother with no success. If it were not for me calling yesterday I would not have known anything about the car being sent to the abandoned car lot. Now when I called a police officer to check on the car he then informed me of where the car was. I called the Abandoned car lot and they told me that I had until the 19th of Oct to pick up my personal belongings out of the car and until the 27th to get the car out. They also informed me that it would cost $800.00 to get the car and that is not including having the car fixed and towed to where ever it needs to go to get fixed. Now I know I will have to take this as a loss because I just don't have the money, I can barely pay my rent. So now I am looking for some type of help in getting a car donated to me and my family... so I can get to and from school ( I am enrolling in school for the winter classes) and get the kids to and from daycare especially now that the weather is breaking and it is getting colder... Please any information that can help me in my time of need would be greatly appreciated... and I am very sorry that I made this soooo long but this is not even the half but I will stop for now...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 05:12 PM
    I hope something works out for you. I know how hard it is for you! Nobody seemed to care that I had four babies and bad luck with cars. I had to walk them all down a long steep hill to get them to appointments. Neighbors would drive by and wave. I would hear of churches and places giving away cars to poor single mothers and wondered how do they do it? Why can't I be so blessed to get a car given to me? My mother acted like DUH too, most often. She would criticize how my grandmother gave her brother (my uncle) first and best of everything because of her old fashioned the guy is in charge thinking. Yet my mom never worried in 30 years about how I was going to get to work or make money. Yet she co signed for a car for my nephew "so he could get to work and make a living" and his job was in working distance. My kids are grown now and I wish I could get rich so I could help people that are in the situation I was in. I still have either no vehicle or a broke down vehicle. People just don't seem to care any more. I hope you find someone to help you out.
    Shygrneyzs reminded me, you could contact Catholic Charities. The only thing they ever mentioned to me about helping people with though is paying on utility bills. The charities that take donated cars I think sell them at auction. You can get a decent car at car auctions sometimes but of course you need to have a few hundred saved up.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Who have you contacted? The Salvation Army? Goodwill? Are you getting any child support for those children? Are you on housing? Food Stamps, energy assistance? You said you have WIC - that is a big help. Have you contacted your Social Services or your local Community Action to see how they can help you?

I know charities take donations of used cars all the time but I never hear what happens to them. Do you have public transportation where you live? If you do, you might be able to get some bus tokens from a non profit. I say that because where I live there is a Catholic run non profit that will help out short term for that. What about your church?

Wish I had the funds to help. It is not easy at all being where you are at. Hope that something turns towards your favor soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any Suggestions? [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm only 16 and I think I could be pregnant... im not sure though... My last period was on March 26 2007... I started BC on April 1st 2007 and I stopped taking it on April 6th 2007... would it have been effective?? Well anywayzz I had sex on April 6th... Then on April 9th 10th 11th 12th 13th and...

Any Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, so my boyfriend and I have sex mutiple times. He never wears a condom, and he doesn't orgasm easily and I can't find his hot spots so it take a while for him to get up... any suggestions? Pleaseee?

Any more suggestions [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't started anything to lighten my under arms. I have been reading all your experieces and greatly appreiate your input. I'm medium/dark tan skin and have pretty dark underarms, knees and inner thighs. This has always been an issue for me and have waited too long to do something about...

Suggestions? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't get along with a sister who is a year and half older than me, I am having problems with my parents with communicating, the youngest sister doesn't like talking to me and is hostile towards me when I try to involve her or get invloved with things with her, and the oldest sister I don't...

View more questions Search