Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jonasboyslove Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2007, 05:52 AM
    whatcan an ex-gymnast do?
    I was a competitive gymnast for 3 years which really isn't long in the gymnastics world. I was competiting level 6 and during the competition season my back really started to hurt. I asked my coach about it and he never real gave me a clear answer to what was wrong with me. I was at my last meet before state and my back was hurting so bad I couldn't warm up for my last event it hurt so bad. I ended up coming home from the meet never returning to the gym again. After quiting gymnastics and not constantly working about I started gaining weight so I started tumbling at a cheer gym, and ended up deciding to try out for my school's cheer team. Well a week before tryouts my mom back was hurting again so I went to a ciropractor and had some x-rays done. I ended up having a rotated pelvic bone, a curved spine, and my neck was misaligned. The only was he told me to help it was to get reatment 3 times a week; stop tumbling; and hope for the best. I still tumbled but went back to see him for about 2 weeks but ti got way to expensive so I quit going. My back still hurts but not as much, but I'm afraid I might still be doing serious harm to it? What should I do? Also I ahvent been back to my old gymnastics gym since I left which was beginning of December last year. I want to go back to say I'm sorry to my coach and stuff but I'm scared. Any sugesstions?
    tcjohnson Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Well being a retired gymnast myself, it really sucked when I had to quit because of an injury. This is one things that coaches hate to see but they happen, so nobody mad with you for quitting especially with a spinal and neck injury which could later lead to serious problems if you don't get treatment.

But as for going back to the gym, if you're one of those people who just can't quit going to tumbling and gymnastics, then I can't stop you (that's what I do to) and I can't imagine ever not doing anything.

So I say go back to your coach and tell him the truth and I doubt your coach will be mad because he should know that injuries happen and sometimes they can't be avoided.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search