Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heather65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Being Harassed
    Hi,I posted this in a reply spot before(oops) so am posting it here now that I figured it out! My name is Heather and I work in a nursing home part time (60 hours every 2 wks)and am trying to drop down to 45 hours because of a private medical condition and I am being harrassed(I feel)by the administrator of the place. He wants more than a doctors note stating she feels the need I need these reduced hours at this time,he wants the diagnosis,and I don't feel he is entitled to that information.Now IF I was asking for the family medical leave act I would agree with him, but I am NOT. And besides that, the place I am working at is under budget cuts at this time(we were reduced to 7.5 hours instead of working 8 a day back in June)and I thought that maybe it wouldn't be a BIG issue dropping a couple days considering the cuts and all,but he is making it a bigger issue,I feel, than what it really needs to be. Any advice on this would greatly appreciated. Thank-You! From Michigan,by the way.

Heather
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Reduced hours
    Hi,
    My daughter works at a nursing home in TN, as the Director of Social Services. According to her, administrators can really be a pain! She did work at a different nursing home in TN, but she and 3 others were laid off. Since then, that place has had many, many problems, and is now being investigated by its Ombudsman. (the person to call if all else fails).
    Your administrator does not have to know the reasons your doctor gave you a slip, requesting less working hours. He/she is just being difficult!
    I am sorry you are working in an environment where this is happening. My daughter found this new job after being laid off from the bad one, and is much, much happier in her new settings... with much better administrators.
    My guess is that if you want reduced hours, you are going to have to play the "game" of the administrator, and tell him/her why. But, of course, that is up to you. I don't think it is "legal harassment" in this situation. Getting time off, or reduced hours working time, is strictly up to your boss. I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Heather65 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2005, 08:49 AM
    Isn't a medical issue a HIPAA thing??
    I don't want to play "games",and why should I have to when I am just asking to cut my hours down a little bit to deal with my medical problems,why should he have the "right to know"what my medical problem is,isn't a doctors slip stating that I have a problem enough?? Where does HIPAA come into play at??

Heather

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I'm being stalked/harrassed.. [ 15 Answers ]

There is this guy in my high school, he startedto follow me around lately.he knows where I work, live.. etc.. He has over 20 phone numbers and he always calls me. Today he called me and said " If i can't have you then no one else will".he also said " i saw you taking ashower the other night".. and...

View more questions Search