Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarbosh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 11:17 PM
    Assult with a deadly weapon
    Can an investigator for the defendants attorney call the plaintiff and ask questions before it goes to court?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 12:19 AM
    Actually the Defendant's attorney can call for a deposition. I don't believe the investigator can, but the Defendant's attorney can.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2007, 12:59 AM
    Assault with a deadly weapon is a criminal offense. In a criminal trial, there is no "plaintiff", there is the defendant and the prosecutor. In such a case the investigator is a law enforcement officer.

If this is a civil suit where someone is being sued for damages, the facts should have come out in the criminal trial. If there was no criminal trial because of a lack of evidence, then it may be hard to prove a case.

However, an investigator for the defendant has every right to ask questions of anyone to prepare their defense. Just as anyone they talk to has the right to refuse to answer or to talk to them. The only time they can be forced to talk is when under oath at a trial or deposition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name of TV series with an alien thing and some triangle weapon? [ 4 Answers ]

When I was a kid I watched this TV series about a teenage girl and I think her father was an alien (whom you never saw - maybe he was dead?) and she could communicate with him I think via a thing on her bedside table. And in the end, there's this alien - she and her friends think it doesn't like...

Felony class d unlawful use of weapon [ 1 Answers ]

What grounds do they have to enforce this? Never pulled a knife but did do hairpulling etc for the 3rd degree assault. Statement written says pulled knife but neither witness willing to testify for prosecution. What do they have if know one else saw this. Statements says don't know if would be...

Simple assult [ 2 Answers ]

I have just found out my fiancé and I had a fight when drunk one night we were stressed about finaces... anyway we were fighting in public and the cops got both of us and took us to jail, I went to 8th and race in philadelphia called the round house and well my fiancé had one dui warrant here in...

Domestic assult [ 8 Answers ]

OK I'm 37 years ols never been in trouble all my life... The other night me and my boyfriend of a year and a half went out drinking and got into a fight in the middle of the street. The cops came and arrested both of us. The only thing I really remember is being shackled down at the jail. I kind of...

Credit Reporting Used as a weapon [ 4 Answers ]

What are the options for getting a company to correct their erroneous credit reporting? This has to do with Geico the Insurance company. They terminated my policy, sent me a refund. Now they are claiming we re-signed and that we owe and are reporting the lack of payment. We never restated our...

View more questions Search