Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Christen99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    2nd Lien Holder on Foreclosure Property
    In short, my husband was in a traffic accident and we had to sue the person to be paid for the damages incurred to his car, medical bills, etc. The people never responded to the initial lawsuit, so judgement was in favor of us. The other party never responded to our request for payment after the lawsuit was found in favor of us, so we put a lien on their home. The home is now in foreclosure and we are the second lien holder (mortgage company being the first lien holder). There is also another lien that was recorded after us (some construction company), and the 4th lien holder is the Federal IRS. From what I've read, the mortgage company gets the money from the sale of the home, and then do we get paid (if at all), or does the IRS move into the second lien holder spot?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2007, 01:04 AM
    Actually a government lien takes first precendence. So the IRS will get paid first, then the mortgage lender then you.

So I wouldn't count on getting paid.
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Oct 14, 2007, 10:29 AM
    You don't indicate which state you are in, but in the Pacific Northwest, you can bid on the property at the foreclosure auction. Get a Title Report on the property and find out how much each of the liens are. Don't forget the arrearage of the mortgage and any unpaid property taxes. After you have them itemized, you can then determine if it is worth bidding on the property. You have to have a pretty good idea of what the property is worth. If there is enough equity after all expenses to take ownership and sell the house to pay off your lien, that is one avenue. Add Real Estate fees to sell the house after you own it. (Not usually worth doing, but on occasion it works.)

If someone outbids you past the amount of your lien, you get paid.

Another, simpler way is to do a wage garnishment. Talk to an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure on 2nd home! Bankruptcy? [ 4 Answers ]

Oct 05 we purchase an investment home for 391k, it was a new home and we planned to make payments with a equity line on our primary home for 1yr and sell the investment home for a large profit, which was projected to be about 50k. Well, now the market went south and we still have the house, can't...

Foreclosure on the 2nd home [ 3 Answers ]

I live in California and thinking of returning my second home back to the bank because it will cause me nore money to sell . Can they run after my primary home that I'm living in right now?

Lien on foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I did home improvement work for a client in Connecticut who could not pay me upfront - because the house was on the market, it was agreed that when the house sold I would be paid after the closing (I have written and signed contracts to prove this) - the house was on the market (still is) for...

1st and/or 2nd foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I recently purchased a new home and rented out our original home... within a few weeks the renters left... we are now stuck with a 1st and 2nd on the first home and a new mortgage on our new home... the first home is maxed out on equity... we can't afford a 1st and 2nd and our newest...

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

View more questions Search