Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom_McC_42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 08:18 PM
    How can I get assistance for my family
    Hello, my name is Tom. I'm 42, have been married for 23 years to my wife, Terry. We have 2 wonderful boys and I'm thankful everyday for all that we have. I have worked 27 years of my life and now find myself in a bit of a pickle. We haven't had any healthcare since 2002. I started having strokes since 2001 with the most recent in Aug of this year.
    They finally determined the cause and I have to have a PFO closure, which will be open heart surgery, hopefully by the end of this year. I'm not supposed to work or drive, and, since I've been a field service technician for 17 years, driving is what I do. So, needless to say, I lost my job. My wife found a job and my youngest, now 18, is in his last year of high school and his fast food job doesn't pay much. We live in Mississippi and the state is going to pay for the PFO closure, unfortunately, they can't help compensate living expenses. So I was forced to find another job until I have my surgery. My mom, even know she's on a fixed retirement income, somehow managed to loan me $3000.00 to buy a used car in Aug, two weeks after my stroke. We bought a 95 Toyota Camry that had a rebuilt engine and transmission, really nice condition. Well now the engine threw a rod and we don't have the money to fix it, having fallen behind in rent. We are both tapped out of resources which is what brings me to this site. I'm trying to find some preventative homelessness if anyone can help. I know it's a lot to read and I'm sorry, but if anyone can help, we are forever grateful. Thanks, Tom :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Have you contacted your county social services department and hooked up with a social worker yet? Or a social worker with Catholic Charities or Lutheran Social Services? There should be help available through your village, township, county, and state. A social worker should know all the possibilities and how to get help for you -- food pantry, low or no cost auto repair, job coaching and support, rent and utilities help, etc.

Please post here again.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Oct 11, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Wondergirl is correct, you should contact social services. There is help out there for you and a social worker will know where that help is. The Salvation Army helps pay rent and utilities though they only will do it once every three months, but then I don't know if that varies by state. If you go to church your church should help with some things. You should also apply for food stamps which is usually located in the social services building. You should apply for medicaid which is usually done through the health department. Hopefully your situation doesn't come to being homeless, but if it comes close, and before it gets to that, you should contact Housing Authority. They can get you into places for little rent out of your pocket, they may even can help you where you are at now. If clothes and/or food is an issue there is of course the Salvation Army and also many churches that provide clothes and food even if you aren't a member. They are usually named association.. for example, "The Baptist Association". I'm not a social worker, but I work in the human services field and a lot of my job is actually taking my clients to these places to get help. I live in N.C. but there is basically the same help everywhere. So again, contact social services in your county.
    I do hope all works out for you and your family.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Wow a Patent Foramen Ovale at your age! AMAZING! You are a very lucky man to have had no problems up until recently.

Sorry to get off topic there.

Now, back to your question... Contact the social services department in your area, also contact the SSI disability. Social Services should be able to get you on food stamps, provide Families First, health care insurance (medicaid), plus many other services. You may qualify for SSI disability since you have a heart condition.
    Tom_McC_42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 02:54 PM
    Thank you all for your responses. You've given me some ideas and things to look into. My neighbor is going to loan me his car to make the three hour drive to Jackson on Monday for my preliminary examination with the surgeons that will be performing the procedure. I'm not so worried about the surgery, they do them so often they're almost routine, I'm just worried about my family the 3 or 4 weeks I'll be down. Never give up, never surrender!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In need of assistance [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this. I'm 25, married, and have a 5 year old little girl. Hard working (60+) hours a week and I can not seem to get ahead at all. I'm renting and am struggling to pay off old debt as well as current bills. I can't afford to pay off everything and survive. I have gotten local...

I really need assistance [ 3 Answers ]

I am new to the 'business world' and need a bit of help, I am having a hard time understanding what they are asking in the following question: Last year rattner Robotics had $5,000,000 in operating income (EBIT). The company had net depreciation expense of $1,000,000 and interest expemse of...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Blended family means family to me, should it not to my husband as well? [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I just really need to know if I am way off base here. Last night my husband told me that"you need to understand how it is going to be between my daughter and myself." " when it comes to special events, even if they conflict with your boys(his stepsons) and in the future if we have children of...

View more questions Search