Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Glenn01 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2005, 09:37 PM
    Furnace
    I have what looks to be a old steam boiler. Any recommendations? I was told that I needed about 100,000 btu's. I know that I will have to get the system size correctly to be sure. But I wanted to find out if there is any particular brands that are good before I start getting quotes. I personal would like to install forced air, but running all the duct work I really don't think I want to get into it.
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2005, 10:04 PM
    You might think seriously about going forced air. Will you ever want central air? An easy addition with forced air, and you might have to go through the duct work for it. May as well get it over with. Just how old is the house, over 100 years? Back then, they ran 2 x 4's all the way from the foundation to the roof. As originally built, you could drop a rock from the attic to the basement. Newer houses have a floor over the joists extending out to the siding, and a plate at the floor, and a double plate at the ceiling, and the same thing on the second floor. Big pain to add ducts. See if the flooring extends clear out to the outside of the foundation, or if somebody has added boards at the edge to hold insulation.

Hard to say on brands. Find a dealer or installer you think you can trust and go with their recommendations. I ended up with a Bryant about 8 years ago, and am fairly happy with it. Did get stuck with a $300 control board, but blame that on lightning.

As for size, there are guidelines for the size of the house, even code. Go a little bigger with old windows and little insulation. If you have splurged on windows and insulation, you can skimp on a furnace.
    Glenn01 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
    Yes the house was built in the 1920's I will try that rock method and see what happens. If it is as you migh t think I will go with the forced air. I haven't tested the old unit yet but I was assuming it wasn't working since it looks very old and might not be to energy saver. I bought it from a bank, someone went belly up and there was not much information on the house. I also thought about hot water baseboard which I thought might be easier to do since the copper pipe is thin and I can get it up to the second floor with no problem. Temps reach about as low a 5 degree's would that type of system give enough heat with those outside temps. I trying to do most of the work myself and just contract the final connections.

Thanks
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Oct 22, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn01
    Yes the house was built in the 1920's I will try that rock method and see what happens. If it is as you migh t think I will go with the forced air. I havent tested the old unit yet but I was assuming it wasnt working since it looks very old and might not be to energy saver. I bought it from a bank, someone went belly up and there was not much information on the house. I also thought about hot water baseboard which I thought might be easier to do since the copper pipe is thin and I can get it up to the second floor with no problem. Temps reach about as low a 5 degree's would that type of system give enough heat with those outside temps. I trying to do most of the work myself and just contract the final connections.

Thanks
    steam heating creat a little noise but put out the heat very quick; water base board heat no noise and the heatis slow but steady... If the original boiler is rate at 100000 BTU and the house is as old as your then increase the new boiler at least 10% ( insulation do loose its effectiveness as it age)... you could heat any thing with hotwater... if you go with hot water; install 2 pipe system. So you could control temp of each room... and make sure all pipes are insulate...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace [ 2 Answers ]

For the past 2 nights my furnace has been blowing out cold air. I have a furnace which is equipped with an ignition device which automatically lights the piolet. I did everything from cutting off the gas valve and power to furnace. When I restarted everything back up, the furnace came on but no air...

Gas furnace [ 14 Answers ]

Igot a 1972 carrer furnace it catches fire at the spud part of burner I got 11.5 inch watter column preasure on line you can cut it off turn it back on and it burns good blaze looks good I need some comet on air ajustment or what might be causing this I have cleaned the burners , thanks.

New furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have got an old furnace I am going to have to replace eventually. I was looking for general advice right now what I should know when finding someone to replace it. I don't want to get into a situation where it will cost me thousands of dollars when I don't need to. I have a gas furnace with hot...

Furnace fan [ 2 Answers ]

I have a forced-air gas furnace w/o AC and a simple dial-type heat-only thermostat.  How do I change my system so that I can manually operate the furnace fan when not calling for heat? Merlyn

View more questions Search