Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    groovymcawesome Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2005, 07:41 PM
    What type of lawn to plant with shade, dogs?
    I've got a big dirt patch in my new back yard. The previous owners were horrible to it. I'm trying to figure out what to plant that would grow well in shade. I've got a huge tree in the back yard and get very limited sun. I'm going to get it pruned way back, but it won't make a huge difference.

I live in South Texas, so it's very hot most of the year.

I've also got two dogs that love to run and play, so it'd need to be fairly tough.

I've thought about clover, but am looking for ANY other options. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2005, 08:47 PM
    Further North here I would go with perennial rye. It is shade tolerant and grows very well. If I hadn't wasted all summer at AskMe, I might of gotten some planted under my huge Osage Orange tree. There is also tall fescue. It grows like a weed, but I think it looks like one too. Not sure it does well in the shade. Fertilize heavily. After a landscaping project, I noticed a straight line dividing the light and dark green grass under a tree. Finally, I realized the line was right where I cut all the tree roots taking out a culvert. The grass on the far side without tree roots, was thriving.

Bermuda grass is tough and drought resistant, but I am not sure it does well in the shade.

If nobody farther South answers here, maybe talk to a hardware or lawn and garden. You might or might not get good answers at places such as Lowe's and Home Depot.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 22, 2005, 04:31 AM
    Texas lawn grasses for shade
    Hi,
    Here is a link for some common lawn grasses grown in Texas. Tall Fescue is one for shade, and there are others.

http://www.texasgrown.com/pages/articles/lawngrass.htm

If you have any kind of local Agricultural Co-Op, call them. They could also give you some suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Change shade of dyed hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I do really need a good advice how to get rid of orange shade of my dyed hair. My natural haircolor is dark ash blond and I wanted to get light ash blond so I bought a color at a store that said "extra ash blond", expecting nice white sandy blond. But!! I am light orange! :eek: I went to...

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

Ingrown hair and dark shade [ 2 Answers ]

Every time I shave the hair keep growing down to my neck and I really hate that I'm 23 looking like 28 this ingrown hair and that's when the dark shade comes I'm light brown and its very noticeable major help please thank you

Plant biology [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please explain the structure and function of the various parts of plants, especially in angiosperms with particular reference to the xylem end phloem Thank you :)

View more questions Search