Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Oct 11, 2007, 05:10 PM
    A Comic about Fred Thompsom
    Hello
    There's this comic I don't get. It's of Fred Thompson being interviewed by some guy, and he is saying "Run? No-Ive decided to mosey..."
    What does this comic mean? I don't get it!
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 05:42 PM
    Mosey… to walk somewhere at a leisurely unhurried pace.

While other students mosey about the campus on their way to class, cheerleaders run, stretch, tumble and somersault in the geodesic dome that serves as the school's gymnasium - all to the tunes of country star Garth Brooks.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Interest in Thompson began early this year. He announced an exploratory committee in May .It was anticipated that he would announce his candidacy as early as the 4th of July . But he continued to delay until after Labor Day. There was a buildup of anticipation that was frustrating to his supporters. The joke was that he would wait until Valentine's Day

There was also a critique of Thompson while he was a Senator that he was lazy and unwilling to do the work necessary to be a good Senator. This was a stereotype more than real . For his short time in the Senate he was active .In a single term there were 6 bills passed that he was head sponsor. Considering his views of Federalism and limitted government that was plenty .He was the Chairman of the Government Operations Committee and he managed the Homeland Security bill through the Senate .

The cartoon played on his "late entry "into the Presidential race and his overall laid back southern style.

Meanwhile the other candidates have been actively campaigning and debating . The delay does not appear to have affected his support in the short run. The danger however is that now that he is in the race he will have to deliver on those expectations. I thought he did well in the debate this week so I think the concerns were over stated. He is polling in 2nd place and appears to have an edge in some of the regional early primaries.

This election cycle is historic in many ways . It has already been too long in my view and I think it is a huge mistake to move the primaries to earlier dates . It is my opinion that it is not in the best interest of the parties to lock into a commitment to a candidate so long before their conventions . Besides ; I expect in the spring of next year there will be movements among dissatisfied of both parties to mount convention challenges to the presumptive nominees.

I do not think that Thompson made a mistake by delaying his entry . Only political junkies like what is on this board have been following the race closely .Thompson avoided the gruelling pace of day to day campaigning during the summer without any significant erosion of his support. He did not have to spend money ,but collected significant funding during his exploratory run;without the reporting requirements that announced candidates are compelled to do. I think many of his competitors have already burned themselves out .
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 12, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Simply put, shoegal, there was a huge hype about Fred Thompson earlier this year. People were excited about the possibility of him running, and despite not having announced his candidacy, he was getting very good poll numbers. There was huge excitement about him, and people were comparing him with Ronald Reagan in a very positive manner (considering the acting background, it was an easy comparison to make).

But as time went on, Fred still didn't officially announce his candidacy. While the other Republican candidates were having debates on issues and running campaigns, Thompson was on the sidelines, taking occasional potshots at some candidate or other, but not really getting into the race. Finally, when he did announce his candidacy, his campaign has been running a bit slow. He lacks the excitement that accompanied the early ideas of him running. He doesn't seem enthusiastic to many people. His public appearances, while not BAD haven't been as stellar as one would expect from a professional actor. The comparisons to Reagan are wearing thin.

Because of his lack of excitement, and the PEOPLE'S lack of excitement about him, he is said to be running slow... or "moseying" through the campaign. That is the meaning of the cartoon. It's a joke about Thompson taking to the Presidential campaign trail as "mosey" speed, while everyone else seems to be "running" for President.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Hello shoe:

Dan Bartlett, one of the president's closest friends who used to be a top adviser in the White House, thinks Fred Thompson is a dud.

That's a right winger saying that – not a lefty. Poor Republicans. They ain't got a chance.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Here is Bartlett's clarification as reported by the Washington Compost

Bartlett gave Thompson a good review for his first debate performance. "I thought he did very well. In fact, my point was there are high expectations for him. I personally didn't think that waiting as long as he did to get into the race was a good move. But he came out yesterday, did very well, got stronger as the debate went forward and I thought he performed at a high level."
    Bartlett Backpedals | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Comic book [ 1 Answers ]

I have a comic book.. its very old.. its called The Little Monsters... does anyone know if it is worth anything?

Just Fred [ 2 Answers ]

A cop stops a Harley for traveling faster than the posted speed limit, So he asks the biker his name. "Fred," he replies. "Fred what?" the officer asks. "Just Fred," the man responds. The officer is in a good mood and thinks he might just give the biker

The last straw for Fred Thompson? [ 20 Answers ]

Apparently, Fred Thompson may be doomed as GOP nominee for reasons I didn't see - he has a trophy wife 24 years younger then he is. http://entimg.msn.com/i/wi/04/02/22/52345/2273000.jpg Susan Estrich basically makes the case that this is irrelevant to his chances, but "the reaction I hear...

Starting a comic book [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of starting a comic book. I was wondering if it would be best to try and get is published as a book you pick up in stores Or if I should have it distributed on the internet only, and have series and mini videos and tabloid posters on the site Which one would take off better. Or...

View more questions Search