Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ejj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Should he include wife if deported?
    My friend was given voluntary departure but her husband is a legal US resident. Should he include her in his taxes and file as married or what?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 04:28 PM
    I think he can include her if she lived with him for at least 6 months out of the year and not filing herself. Then again her not being legal citizen he might no be able to.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
    A legal U.S. resident can file jointly with his/her spouse regardless of the physical location of the spouse. The spouse can be in Africa, Europe, India, China, or anywhere else in the world.

The only catch is that, if the spouse files jointly, the spouse must declare and pay tax on ALL WORLD-WIDE INCOME.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to have this bigamist illegal alien deported? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen female . Imarried an illegal alien and obtained an annulment 4 months later. I filled for annulment because 3 motnhs after the marriage ,I found out that he is in fact still married to another wife in his homecountry .The other wife was living with his mother and also ...

If I get marry a resident and I try to do my papers can I still get deported? [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend is a resident... she haven't get her permanent residence yet... she will get it at the end of the year... I want to know if I get marry her and I try to do my papers can I get them?even thou she is a resident and what it would happen if emigrations try to deport me ( for any reason)...

Do I have to include these W2s when I file? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question. I have multiple W2s, two of which have no Federal or State tax withheld. My wages on them are 206 and 2893 dollars-- my other two W2s I made more money and taxes were then taken out. Why do my two W2s have no taxes withheld? Also, I did my taxes online at Taxslayer-- I...

Prices do not include T/L/F. [ 2 Answers ]

Prices do not include T/L/F. anyone knows what it means when you buying a car

What not to include on a resume [ 0 Answers ]

Is it OK not to include on my resume a job that I had for 3 months which is not relevant to the position for which I'm applying? It was an entry level position that I took after my employer of 20 years went out of business. I took the job until I could find the job I really wanted because I...

View more questions Search