Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LAWTIME Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Brother must go!
    My mom and dad live in Phoenix they own a house in Romeoville,Illinois.My brother lives there, they want my brother out of house he does not or has ever paid rent,he has lived there for about 5 yrs.My mom gave him 6700 to fix siding and other things,money is gone and house is missing back siding.He is very much addicted to drugs he has a 5yr. Old child,and he lives there with his girlfriend the mother of his child and she has two girls that come over every other week.My parents are up in age and I was asked to get him out of house and try to sell the house.And my mom says because of the utilities being turn off and then turned back on because of very late utility payments which my mom pays,she had his name put on the title so he has some authority to get the utilities put back on.So it would be easy to deal with turning on and off because of where my parents live,very fishy if you ask me.He is not on the deed though. What should be my next step? Thank You LAWTIME He needs to be kicked out
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 02:20 PM
    She has his name on the title, then the house is his. Your Mom and Dad can sue him for the money they gave for the siding but I do not see how he can be evicted. His name is on the title. Who pays the taxes and insurance? Why does your Mom pay one bit of anything for your brother? The example being the utilities.

Do you know for absolutely positively 100% that his name is on that legal deed? Check your register of deeds or title company.
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Go and give him a brotherly talk, failing that threaten him (brotherly threaten) is he the type to turn in his own brother

Oct 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    She has his name on the title, then the house is his. Your Mom and Dad can sue him for the money they gave for the siding but I do not see how he can be evicted. His name is on the title. Who pays the taxes and insurance? Why does your Mom pay one bit of anything for your brother? The example being the utilities.

Do you know for absolutely positively 100% that his name is on that legal deed? Check your register of deeds or title company.
    No he does not have any ownership he can not sell house,my mom just gave him the right to change what ever needs to be meet for the codes in town and he can get the utilities turn on and what ever is neede to get done per town codes,so my parents do not have to come up from Arizona for any small things involving house.iI just want to know if he does not pay rent ever that he is only a guest or will he have to be evicted
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 05:54 PM
    If he has no ownership, then what is with the following statement, "she had his name put on the title..." But you say his name is not on the deed. Then your parents can evict him with a thirty day notice. If is not paying rent, it can be a 72 hour notice of eviction, delivered by the sheriff. He can be evicted for non payment of rent and for not fixing the siding with the money she sent to him.

But check your local laws. I know here, in ND, a person can receive a 72 hour notice of eviction for non payment of rent.

Oct 11, 2007, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    If he has no ownership, then what is with the following statement, "she had his name put on the title..." But you say his name is not on the deed. Then your parents can evict him with a thirty day notice. If is not paying rent, it can be a 72 hour notice of eviction, delivered by the sheriff. He can be evicted for non payment of rent and for not fixing the siding with the money she sent to him.

But check your local laws. I know here, in ND, a person can receive a 72 hour notice of eviction for non payment of rent.
    Thank You I will check out state laws-in time I will tell you what came out of it.Thanks again.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 12, 2008, 11:17 PM

I think first your family should get together and pull and intervention on him and get him to treatment and inforce your descions you make toward him no family needs to live like that.Work with all your family members and may be find and interventionist and get him help that what he really needs and everything else will fall in place...
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2008, 06:32 AM
    OK. There's a "sticky" at the top of this forum with a link to each state's landlord / tenant laws.

Your statement that his name was put on the title, but not the deed, and then coming back stating that he has no ownership in the property is a little confusing. Before an eviction is started it needs to be determined exactly what his name is on.

Assuming he has NO ownership in the property he can be evicted. They can either give him a 30 day notice to terminate his month-to-month tenancy and then evict when he doesn't leave. Or they can give him a "pay or vacate" notice and go that route.

Someone is going to have to go there to keep this process moving. Your parents will need to call the Justice of the Peace or Magistrate for the precinct where the property is located and find out if your parents must do it themselves or if they can have an agent act on their behalf. The initial notice can be sent to your brother in the mail (if the law allows). The recommendation is to send one regular mail and another by certified mail, return receipt requested, and obviously they need to keep a copy for their records. If he doesn't leave then someone has to go to the court to file the eviction suit, and then someone will have to appear. Usually the trial will be set for a couple of weeks after the filing, but it varies by state.

I would think someone is going to have to be there off and on for several weeks. AND to make sure that he doesn't just move back in once the eviction is complete. There would be no one to stop him or turn him in if he does. Once the eviction is done no one keeps checking up on the property.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mishelly3 View Post
    I think first your family should get together and pull and intervention on him and get him to treatment and inforce your descions you make toward him no family needs to live like that.Work with all your family members and may be find and interventionist and get him help that wht he really needs and everything else will fall in place...

Again, this is the legal board - please only give LEGAL advice. (Also, you have opened an old thread.)
    azdeb5 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
    How do you find out if your name is on the title of a house ? My mom said that she had put me on there, but I just need to find out for sure if it is or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I related to my brother-in-laws brother? [ 12 Answers ]

It's been this huge discussion lately with many many MANY different answers, and I would like to know, If my sister marries a man, am I related to him AND his siblings? I have no idea...

My brother might need help... [ 4 Answers ]

My dad repeatedly sends money to my brother who in university... and my brother keeps spending it repeatedly. He has spent about 22000 UsD in one term. He used to be my mentor.. but not anymore. It's becoming... quite serious, I think he might have a drug/alcoholic problem.. . Being the younger...

Looking for my brother [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for Larry G. Backlund born April 1975. He is supposedly a father now I don't know if he has a boy or girl. I know his mothers name and there ssn. I am looking for him for my father. I doubt he knows that he has half siblings, a nephew, and a father that has never stopped loving...

My brother [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 15 and my brother is 20, since you have to be 18 to get the information about your parents, would my brother be able to help me get it since he is over 18?

View more questions Search