Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wstevens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 01:39 PM
    Plumbing,lead joint
    How do you pour a lead joint in vertical position for 4" cast iron waste pipeing,and what are the key tools for that procedure?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 11, 2007, 03:09 PM
    You're asking how to yarn, pour and caulk a lead joint. Let me explain about lead and oakum joints. I'm going to assume that you have a basic knowledge of the tools needed to pour and caulk a joint. A short course: It's not the lead that makes the joint water tight. It's okum, a hemp like material that swells up when water hits it. The lead is just to make sure the okum is packed in tight enough to seal. You should also know what special tools are needed to yarn and pour a joint from scratch. A lead ladle and a gas torch hot enough to melt lead in it. Then you need lead and okum. Next you will need a , yarning iron to push the okum down in the joint. A packing iron to pack the okum down tight. And last you will need inside and outside caulking irons plus a ball peen hammer.
    Take a length of oakum and run it around the inside of the bell/hub and tamp it down with a yearning iron. Do this until the oakum is almost to the top. Now take the packing iron and ball-peen hanner and pack the oakum tightly in the bell. You should be left with a 3/8 to 1/2" of space for the lead.
    Too much oakum? Take some out and repack it.
    Now melt lead into the ladle and pour the joint to the top of the bell in one pour. Let the lead cool and set uo. Now take the inside caulking iron, ( the one with the bevel looking out) and caulk the inside of the pipe using enough strength to mark the lead well, but not strong enough to crack the cast iron bell. Do the same with a outside iron, ( the one with the bevel looking in.) and you've just poured and caulked a lead joint. ( And here you thought the only definition of a joint was one you rolled and smoked, LOL.) Good luck, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Getting the correct lead [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I am having a really hard time getting my horse to pick up his right lead. Other than the basic/standard positoning for the lead does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to help him pick it up? Thanks. Kim

How thick is the lead in a lead joint [ 2 Answers ]

Im getting ready to take the Indiana pluming test and I was wanting to know how thick the lead Is suppose to be in the hub of the cast iron.

Cast Iron Lead sealed plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older home that has a vented stand cast iron plumbing (4-6" diameter), and the joints are sealed with lead. I need to rotate one tee joint (runnuig vertically). Do I have to heat the lead to a molten state to allow rotation? I have never worked with lead sealed pipe and while this...

Lead poison [ 4 Answers ]

Was paint with lead used on old models Of matchbox cars?

Lead joint [ 5 Answers ]

I need help on the steps to pouring a lead joint

View more questions Search