Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Oct 11, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Changed lives proof of the resurrection?
    Christians like to point to changed lives & christians dying for their faith as proof of the resurrection of Jesus, but is this really proof ? Proponents of other religions experience changed lives & die for their faith also, but do you believe their testimony ?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2007, 04:34 AM
    I agree with you. Changed lives and martyrdom are not proofs for the resurrection of Jesus.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Oct 11, 2007, 06:15 AM
    There is no evidence that is compelling enough for someone who does not wish to see it.

Likewise, for those who do wish to find truth in something, the evidence need not be all that strong.

It's all faith and belief. Why not leave it at that? Don't individuals still have the freedom to choose what they believe in?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
    The Power of Positive Thinking" by Norman Vincent Peale is still widely read by people who want to have a better more successful life. Truisms contained therein:

"You are what you think. You feel what you want."

"All of our feelings and beliefs are based on our internal thoughts, both conscious and subconscious. We are in control, whether we know it or not.(paraphrased)

"Aim high and do your best"Aim high and do your best"We can be positive or negative, enthusiastic or dull, active or passive."

Whatever way a person changes for the better, that is lessens his/her suffering and becomes a joy to others instead of a being a drag... that is wonderful!

It is primarily about *changing* and becoming a positive person with friends who are positive, not those who throw pity parties and become "We can be positive or negative, enthusiastic or dull, active or passive.". Some people get started through a born again experience, some through therapy, some through riding through the bad times living and learning and coming out a true mature person... whatever...

Changed lives prove that person changed his/her life... nothing to do with "alabi Ike"...
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 11, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Mmm.. I have never heard about people's changed lives. Are you saying about Today? Or you know back then?

Oct 12, 2007, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fallen2grace
    Mmm.. I have never heard about people's changed lives. Are you saying about Today? Or you know back then?
    In his book, Evidence that Demands a Verdict, Josh McDowell sites the changed lives of believers throughout the years as proof of the resurrection. People of all religions experience change in their lives & it's not proof of the validity of their beliefs.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 06:44 AM
    McDowell's Evidence books (There are two, then a third of both of the two plus some additional material) are excellent in many respects but like the argument above, he too often "stretches" like that.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
    Changed lives may be evidence of the resurrection power of Jesus, but the evidence of His resurrection is in the testimonies of those witnesses as recorded in the Bible.

Oct 12, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by savedsinner7
    changed lives may be evidence of the resurrection power of Jesus, but the evidence of His resurrection is in the testimonies of those witnesses as recorded in the Bible.
    It has long been established that none of the gospels were written by the men whose names they bear, but rather by unknown authors. And as I said in another thread on hearsay, the bible is not true revelation, but hearsay. The only way it would be revelation is if you yourself had the bible dictated to you by God in person, & not through someone else such as an apostle or a prophet. Look up the definition of hearsay sometime.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Oh. I see. Well what I think is that people's lives are changed because of it. I wouldn't really say it was proof or evidence. It mainly relies on faith, in my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Boyfriend lives in a different continent [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend lives in a different continent than me (he lives in Venezuela, I live in the U.S.) we met online, which, I know, your probably thinking that he's really some 40 year old pedophile who lives with his mom and gets his kicks out of fooling around with teenage girls, but I talk with Willy...

The resurrection [ 31 Answers ]

Why do christians believe jesus rose from the dead ? Just because the bible says so ? Anyone think they can prove the resurrection of jesus, & do so without resorting to the bible ?

2 lives in The Most Highs' hands [ 1 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. My sister's friend is a 15 year old mother of a two month old. Her mother is on drugs, has a long criminal record and has an unstable home. By unstable I mean, they have no gas and electric on at their house, no food and the temperature has been reaching record breaking heights....

Looking for someone who lives in Greece [ 3 Answers ]

If there is anyone one on this board that lives in Greece that can help me I would appreciate it. The person I am looking for is male from Kalamata. Last I heard is that he moved to an Island in Greece. He was part of O.Y.K (Hellenic Navy) in the early 90"s His name is George Drolias Send...

So this is how the other half lives? [ 1 Answers ]

Well thanks to Tom's link I've discovered this site and it appears more mature, interesting, and alive. After I figure out how to navigate the boards I'll try and contribute my moderate views when possible. I'm juggling a busy schedule between work and the wife's pregnancy. I just want to give a...

View more questions Search