Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sstane1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 04:02 PM
    Unpaid property taxes
    My fiancé and I bought a condo in Sept 2005. Our mortgage company was supposed to pay our property taxes because we escrowed for it but they didn't. I am trying to refinance(my fiancé and I split up and he signed a quick claim deed) but I just found out that the mortgage company didn't pay the second half of our 2004 taxes. They ended up giving us a refund check later on not realizing what it was for. My question is that because he signed the quick claim deed is he still half responsible for those taxes? The taxes were already sold and the fees are outstanding. I don't know if I should go after him for this or if he is even liable for the taxes. Please help.
    hmcglynn Posts: 31, Reputation: 7

Oct 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sstane1
    My fiance and I bought a condo in Sept 2005. Our mortgage company was supposed to pay our property taxes because we escrowed for it but they didnt. I am trying to refinance(my fiance and I split up and he signed a quick claim deed) but I just found out that the mortgage company didnt pay the second half of our 2004 taxes. They ended up giving us a refund check later on not realizing what it was for. My question is that because he signed the quick claim deed is he still half responsible for those taxes? The taxes were already sold and the fees are outstanding. I don't know if I should go after him for this or if he is even liable for the taxes. Please help.
    First you need to verify that the refund check given was in fact 2004 escrowed tax amount. Not an overage from a later year. Banks tend to lose track of what's going on if they bought that mortgage from another lender. When you buy property the taxes are prorated the seller gives you a credit for the time that they owned the property up until the closing date. Which you should see on your closing statement. I think you need to contact a real estate attorney to further investigate this matter. But I'm pretty sure you might be able to place a judgement against him to pay his portion of the 2004 taxes. Especially if the check from the lender was made out to both of you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 12, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Agreed! He lived in the condo during the tax period, so he is legally responsible for paying his share of the tax.

Pay the tax and fees immediately to avoid more fees and interest, then settle up with him. If he refuses to pay, take him to small claims court. You will win hands down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

My brother paid my mother's past property taxes last year. Now he claims that her property belongs to him (deed). Is this true for Florida? :confused: Nanc

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

Old unpaid property taxes and a 66 year old [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, this is a tricky one. If someone sold a house in So. California in the early 1990's (after owning it for about six years) and did not pay all of their property taxes and the IRS is just coming after them when they are disabled and aged 66 what should they do? Does the fact that this person...

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

View more questions Search