Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjwhitworth Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Check Engine Light and Oil Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1995
    I have a 1995 Honda Accord and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The car started over heating so I checked the radiator coolant and that was fine. I also checked the oil and that was full. A few days later the oil light started coming on and now the check engine light is on.

Any idea what might be happening?

Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
    You probably need to replace your thermostat if the radiator is over heating.
    You might need an oil change.
    The check engine light is program to come on every so many thousand miles and you have to take it to a garage to get it reset.

Oct 10, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Actually, I changed the thermostat a few months back.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Perform the tests outlined in Sections A and B below:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...das-46563.html

It sounds like the ECM (computer) may have failed. I would first perform the K-Test on the ECM.

Oct 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Thanks so much! Let me try this.

Oct 10, 2007, 01:16 PM
    I also noticed a little smoke coming off the engine today.
    ilikeprivacy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 11:39 PM

The check engine light is the computers way of conveying an operational problem. The oil light is indicative of a problem with oil pressure or the electrical circuit that is connect in series to the oil pressure switch.It is vital that you distinguish what is the problem which can save you potentially thousands in costly repairs.Disconnect the one wire that goes to the oil pressure sender unit and confirm if the light remains on the instrument cluster with the ignition on.
    ilikeprivacy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 11:43 PM
    The smoke would more than likely be due to rough idle due to the check engine light,this will cause oil to run from the leaking valve cover gaskets unto the exhaust manifold.If there are visible sign of residual burnt oil then that is where the smoke is coming from,good luck.
    jochi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 09:35 AM
    I have a 2002 Nissan Sentra and both my check engine light and oil light are coming on. The temperature gauge showed that the engine temperature is hot, also steam was coming from under the hood even though the cooling fluid tank was full. I stopped the vehicle to let it cool down and things were a little better and then I started hearing a weird sound coming from under the hood and weird vibrations were present also.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2012, 11:29 AM
    jochi, overheating an aluminum head engine, even once, can cause the head to warp, the head gasket to blow, and the valves to get damaged. Have the car towed to Nissan for servicing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda Accord 1996 check engine light ? [ 2 Answers ]

What does it mean when the "check" light comes on my 1996 Honda Accord ? What's the worst thing that can happen?

Check Engine Light on 1996 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

The check engine light on my 1996 Honda Accord has come on. I took it to the auto zone and the guy told me I needed new spark plugs. Well I got the spark plugs put on and the light still did not go off. So I took the car back to the shop to get it looked at and the code that came up was misfire in...

Check Engine Light Comes On On My Honda Accord 1996 [ 1 Answers ]

What Could Be The Reason Why My Check Engine Light Comes On, Also How Often Do I Need To Change The Oil, Tires?

89 honda accord check engine light [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I have a 89 Honda Accord LXI, check engine light is on, idles rough, then after shut off it won't re start for about 15min, and I smell a really strong gas smell, it turns over but won't start Thanks for any help

98 accord loss of oil and check engine light coming on [ 3 Answers ]

My check engine light came on and I noticed that the car was very low on oil. I reset the light and added oil. I drove the car for a mile or so and noticed that the oil I put in was gone. I don't see any puddles of oil or any places that look like oil is leaking. 2 Years ago I had something like...

View more questions Search