Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmwaldron Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 10:29 AM
    Monitor - NO signal... running out of ideas!
    Hi, I recently purchased a new case for my computer, transferred everything from the old one etc. When it came to connecting everything, the monitor would come on, but said there was no signal. THe computer powers on and seems to be working. I tried unplugging things, took out video card etc, reseated the processor. Nothing helped.
    I decided to but a barebones kit as a 2nd computer until I got this figured out. The kit had the case, fan, motherboard, processor and ram. It has onboard vga. I took the hard drive, the cd rom drive and the floppy from the previous computer. After putting it together, I hooked it up to the monitor, and yes... you guessed it... the same thing happened. The monitor is a lcd screen.
    I just replaced the vga monitor cable with a new one but no luck. I'm not sure what to try next.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Nathan
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 20, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Does the monitor say "No signal" or is there just nothing on the screen?

Can you try another monitor on either computer?

Can you try the monitor on another computer?

Oct 20, 2005, 12:42 PM
    The monitor says no signal...
    (this is his wife) and he's tried an old monitor and also tried both monitors on the laptop and they all say no signal. They turn on, etc... just say no signal. He's reseated the video card, got a new comp with a new card and motherboard and CPU... we're absolutely at a loss. Any ideas?

Oct 20, 2005, 01:39 PM
    So basically, you can't get any picture on the monitors at all? Have you switched the output on the laptop to the external feed?

I suspect the monitors now and wouldn't do anything else with the pc's until you can get a picture on them.

Unless I've understood you wrong!

Oct 20, 2005, 02:14 PM
    Hi
    How would I switch to outward feed on the laptop?
    The consistent things in the two computers have been the monitor, the hard drive, the cd rom drive and the floppy.
    Both computers made no beep sound at post either.

Thanks

Nathan

Oct 20, 2005, 02:34 PM
    I just got the monitor to work with my laptop so I'm thinking it has to be the HD causing the problems. It did the same thing with the last computer.

Nathan

Oct 21, 2005, 01:02 AM
    Your new computer will boot without the cdrom, hard drive and floppy. Disconnect them from your motherboard and boot with just cpu (inc. cpu fan) and memory installed (with monitor attached).

This should give you a screen. If it doesn't you've ruled out the three drives as the problem.

If it does give you a screen, turn the machine off and replace one of the drives and try again. Do this until you have no screen, this will tell you which component is causing the fault.

Come back to me when you've tried this.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2005, 03:06 AM
    Also give the RAM a quick reseat. I had a similar problem and it turned out I didn't have the RAM in properly.

Also, do you hear any beeps when turning on the PC? I doubt it as you would have probably mentioned this but it's best to check.

Finally, does you motherboard have any kind of diagnosistic series of LED's on/with it? This might have been overlooked but it could help solve the problem. I find that a number of motherboards nowadays come with something with/on the board that contains 4 LED's normally laid out in a 2x2 square. These LED's show the computers state using different combinations or the lights being on or off. From this you can determine what state your PC is pausing at. The two MSI motherboards I have purchased have something like this and so do all the Dell PC's in my office.

Oct 21, 2005, 09:39 AM
    Hi
    Tried disconnecting the hd,cd, floppy and reseated the ram... still nothing, no post beep... no signal...

Oct 21, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Now that you've tried the barebones kit essentially as it came, and there's no response, I would speak to the supplier.

It's possible that a component has suffered from static discharge and been blown also. The best way to avoid this is to get an antistatic wristband and connect it to the case of the computer whilst working on it (unplug from mains of course).

The only thing you can really do now is swap components (ram,cpu & mobo) until it works!

Can you do the same test (ram cpu & mobo only) on the older machine also?

One last thing, check the motherboard manual and reset the cmos memory, this sometimes works!

Oct 28, 2005, 06:18 AM
    Hi again

For some reason, it started working the other day... I tried so many things with this, I have no idea which one worked but the comp is up and running and no problems thus far.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Nathan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor = no signal need help [ 13 Answers ]

Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem. OK first off... it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (I haven't found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")... I even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how I found this...

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

Monitor - No signal [ 53 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build my own computer without my husband's help so I can learn stuff along the way. My first obstacle is that the monitor has no signal. The computer I am upgrading is my brother's old one and I played cards on it just last week before he gave it to me. When I brought it home...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

View more questions Search