Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jepop90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Squeal in water line
    After installing a new dish washer last night, I noticed that there is a high pitched squeal coming from the water line when the washer is running. Can someone pleas tell me what is causing this? I suspect maybe air in the line or restricted flow.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Does the squeal change in pitch while the washer is filling? I suspect that you fill valve is not fully closing. Back to you.
    jepop90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 07:55 AM
    Ballengerb1,

It does not change pitch but it does get louder and softer throughout the course of a wash cycle. If the valve is not closing fully, could this be due to high water pressure... or just a faulty valve?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Your water pressure should be between 40 and 60 psi, do you know what it actually is on your line? I guessing it's the valve since the problem started with a new installation. There could be a spec of debris inside the valve that allows a trickle of water to keep passing. Some machines have valves that can be opening, cleaned while others do not. You'll have to check right in front where the water line connects, that's the valve, do you see any screws or caps that can be removed?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Air in house water line, city water [ 1 Answers ]

About midnight, I turned on the upstairs water and air came out with smelly black stuff. It instantly bled the line and flushed the black stuff out. The upstairs toliets also had trapped air that bled out. Is this a problem with my house system or is it from the city water supply? Also, is the...

Bathroom sink hot water makes a LOUD squeal. [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn on the hot water in my bathroom sink the water starts to flow BUT as the water gets hot it starts to make this squeal and the hotter the water gets, the louder the squeal gets. MAN, it is SOOO annoying! Can someone PLEASE explain the surgery I have to perform on the hot water knob to...

Hot water shut off valve and main water line [ 8 Answers ]

I was in my way to replace faucet for basin, but my local hot water shut off valve is not working. So now I have to shut off water supply from main line. Where would that be? I have old house and my water meter is out side. Also how to change shut off valve?

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search