Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashbrae3 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 03:38 AM
    Potty training
    My son is going to be 3 in November and I'm spending too much money on diapers and want to get him potty trained. What is the easy way to do it? Any tips?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 03:46 AM
    No easy way, is he able to tell you when he is going for a wee and poop?
    Its just trial and error the one thing I have found that I've read in most books is that if you put a clean diaper on before a nap and he/she wakes dry then they have bladder control and should be well and truly ready to start the potty fiasco.
    Its just a case of let him run about naked and you catch him with the potty lots of mega praise and excitement will encourage him to use it again.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 05:06 AM
    CBW is absolutely correct.

There is no real way to do this. It is your son who gives you the clues as to when he is ready.

Have you even started discussing the "big boy potty" with him yet? It is important you at least begin to talk to him about it before you spring it on him.
    veronica459 Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2007, 02:55 AM
    The biggest step is showing him how to "make pee pee" After my son learned how to do this it was an easy concept for him to grasp you push and something happens. I had him sit on the "potty" and push usually about 15 minutes after he had lunch or a snack. My son was just so excited that he could make liquid come out and after he squeezed out a fart (sorry) he wanted to get on the potty. I acted like my son just hit a game winning homer every time he went pee on the potty. I also had him naked for the first couple days which help me to know when it was time and if he had an accident I could say (in a very calm voice) "wait wait pee pee on the potty remember" He is 2.5 now and he goes to the bathroom all day just wears pull ups at night just in case. If is a rare night that he needs them we limit his fluid intake before bed, and they say night dryness starts as early as 3 and as late as 6 so we will just take our time.
    Good Luck!
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Well I have no experience with boys... but when I was potty training my daughter I got the coolest little potty seat at Walmart (I think)... it had a motion sensor thing, so when she sat down if she peed the seat would go "da dada da!!!" :D:D That got her excited to at least WANT to try and go... it really didn't work in the long run because she figured out she could just put her hand in front of the sensor to have it make the cool little jingle... but it got her WANTING to try. :)
    Becky1980 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2007, 02:11 PM
    We're potty training round 2 with my son (2 1/2) currently. And there really is just no easy way. I first tried when he was two years old after feeling pressured from other parents, but he just wasn't ready.

As for now, we're using pull ups and gummy bears. They're his potty treats, and they really help. I would have never thought I would use food as a reward for doing things, but you know what, it works.

Incidentally, potty training is also messy messy messy. And gross at times. Just warning you.

Our biggest challenge right now is making him understand you potty many times throughout the day. Whenever we ask if he needs to potty, he always says "I already pottied this morning!!"
    wackymb Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2007, 12:52 AM
    Hi, I wanted to tell you that I know how you feel. But, I was the same way with my son. He is now 4 almost 5. Anyway, I thought potty training him would be hard but, it wasn't. I started by giving him a certain time not to have anything to drink. Like he didn't get anything to drink past 8 cause I would put him to bed at 10. If he cries that he is thursty, I give him a small drink of water and see if he has to pee right after. I also talked to him about the big boy potty and my husband would take him into the bathroom with him and he caught on quick. You can reward him with something, like a treat if he goes. But, don't rush, they will get in the hang of it. Some later than sooner. My hardest thing was getting my boy out of our bed. Never let you kid sleep with you from the day you have them. Big mistake. Took me almost 2 and 1/2 years to get him out. Well, I hope this helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potty Training [ 3 Answers ]

Why is there a myth that girls are easier to potty train than boys?:)

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search