Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cess Posts: 43, Reputation: 2

Oct 20, 2005, 12:22 AM
    Help can they do this?
    Ok . I live in a place that allows pets and I have had my dog for almost a year. She is leashed outside. Been like this since I moved in almost a year ago. We get differnent onsite manager. They decide to change the rules but this is just a onsite manager . The guy over there head has allowd me to leave my dog leashed up all this time. Mind you new onsite manager can`t spell. Don`t know how to use spell check on the computer. When they mean through they spell it threw. Its funny.They ar worse then me. But they put a note on my door. It said .

We have noticed that you need to take you`re dog in and not leave them tied out if this can`t be done in 7 days we will remove the dog ourselves

That's how its typed exactly on the paper. No periods .Am I correct . This is a threat .About stealing my dog?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 02:37 AM
    Check first the terms of your lease: Is leashing the dog outside prohibited in the lease itself?

Are you in a lease period, or on month-to-month at this point?

No, they cannot take your dog.

In the meantime, try to contact someone with the owners. Be nice... along the lines of (once you reach the right person) "I'm concerned about a letter I received from the new management company threatening to take my dog".

Next steps after that may be dependent on the answer to the first 2 questions...
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2005, 05:36 AM
    Dog
    Hi,
    Go to the Onsite Manager. Talk with him/her about it. Ask the phone number of the owner(s) and call them if the Onsite Manager really wrote the note in the first place.
    I agree with rickj in reading your lease. Your new Manager cannot change your lease; only an Owner can, through proper legal channels.
    I do wish you good luck with this.
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 05:42 AM
    Actually, neither can change a lease... but depending on what your terms are, and whether you're on month-to-month or not will dictate how they may start doing something new... effectively changing the deal from there forward.

In short, if you are still in a lease period (and not on a month-to-month occupancy) then nothing can be changed at all, period.

PS - A manager has as much authority as an owner in the Landlord-Tenant relationship.

Oct 21, 2005, 12:38 AM
    To be honest the lease does not say no dogs leashed outside. The owner is a guy named charlie. It's a trailer park . So by my understanding one lease till I move so . I will be telling charlie about this as soon as I see him.
    Uber Member

Oct 21, 2005, 03:08 AM
    That's the wisest thing to do.

In short, it would probably be legal for them to give 30-day notification of a "new policy" that prohibits dogs being leashed outside.

In a typical lease (yours may be different being in a trailer park), once the initial term passes, it becomes a month-to-month occupancy - unless a new lease term is signed.

... in other words, you have the right to give a 30-day notice to them - that you are moving... and they have the right to give a 30-day notice to you: telling you to move, raising the rent, adding a new policy, etc...

Oct 21, 2005, 09:01 PM
    See anouther thing is that can`t allow one person to be allowd to leash a dog outside and not anouther in the same park . Park rules are for all so if that was the case my bf`s mom would have got something about her dog. Well here is the full notice

We have noticed you need to take you`re dog in and not leave them tied out if this can`t be done in 7 days we will remove the dog ourselves

Then there names (not charlies) and phone number

I have called charlie he said he would stop by and read the note left and handle it .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search