Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost in my little head Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Oct 9, 2007, 05:52 PM
    How do you find out the iron content of hair?
    I'm trying to do a science fair experiment on what type of hair color has the best iron content. Problem is that I don't know what tools to use and chemicals I would need to to carry this experiment out. So if anyone knows how to find out the iron content of hair PLEASE let me know ASAP.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
    A Magnet, Serious, I would maybe use a spectrometer, this may give you a start:
    Spectrometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    NavyBlue1984 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 10:58 AM
    To carry out that procedure you would need some sort of detector such as a magnet, but you would need to use A LOT of hair. A big clump, when homogenized, will be attracted to a magnetic pull, and by this you can judge the Fe content (Similar to the way an etch-a-sketch works, as you draw pictures with Fe shavings... )
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Nov 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Okay, I work with VERY strong magnets-the hair would have to be VERY seriously covered with iron-rusted almost, before it would be attracted to the magnet!

You need to freeze the sample, then grind it in a mortar and pestle, then break the proteins down with a very strong acid, then dissovlve the mix into a specific volume(I forget how to do this) then you need to perform a Titration progressively adding a reagent until the mix changes colour, this indicates how much of the elemental iron is contained within your original sample.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing iron from my hair [ 3 Answers ]

I recently dyed my hair using a "28 shampoo" semi-permanent dye that was darker than my natural color. I'm blonde, and my hair normally turns orange for a short while when I dye it, but it usually washes out after a few shampoos. Well, I've washed my hair well over the 28 stated times and the color...

Puffy Hair - Straightening Iron [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, So my hair, when it goes.. it grows up and out.. so my hair really looks all puffy.. I have pretty thick hair. I want to get my hair into a new hair style, but to do that it needs to be 'down'.. instead of puffing. My fringe will go over one hair, you probably seen the hair style...

Article-content [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Can anybody tell me where to find the best article and content sites?

Difference between Iron palm and iron fist [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me some info on the difference between Iron Palm and Iron Fist training? And also just some overall wushu reference pages and stuff would be appreciated.

View more questions Search