Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Oct 19, 2005, 03:24 PM
    Termite Question
    Hi. I have termites in a piece of wood in my garage. I see the mud tube coming up from the edge of the foundation and entering into a stud. The wood seems solid and I'm thinking of removing and replacing it, but what about the ones I don't get when I cut it out? Anyone had any experience with these little devils? I'm reluctant to call a termite/pest removal company for fear of being ripped off. Inspection of the rest of the garage shows no more evidence of termites. Currently my plan is to remove the infected wood and treat the immediate area with some sort of termite killer, then replace what I have removed. Comments, suggestions, and alternatives are welcome. Thanks. Dave.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 05:13 PM
    I really think the mud tube is the key. They must have a protected route from the ground to the wood structure, or a source of water inside. If I was replacing just one termite infested 2 x 4, better believe it would be a pressure treated one.

How termite resistant is the rest of your garage and house? Do you have pressure treated sill plates or metal plates between them and the foundation?

You need to do an absolutely fanatical inspection of your house. If you have masonry against the frame anywhere such as a poured concrete stoop, remove it if you have to to see the foundation/frame joint behind it. Crawl your crawl space or whatever. If some of your rooms need freshened up, drive some nails in the stud and ceiling joists. You can easily fill the holes with some speckling or even tooth paste, and paint over it. Is there anyplace that has sagged leaving a door or window not fitting right?

I don't have a lot of experience, and maybe I have listened to too many exterminators, but they can be bad.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2005, 07:20 AM
    Termites
    Hi,
    I vote for the exterminator. You can call the Better Business Bureau, or the Chamber of Commerce in your local area. They can guide you to who is reputable. Call an exterminator, and ask for a price quote. In that way, you can be assured of knowing the cost; also if they do the work for you, they use commercial pesticides that are known to do a good job.

Oct 21, 2005, 03:09 PM
    Hi fredg. My wife voted for the exterminator also so it's two to one in that direction. I guess an estimate and a quote makes sense. Hope I'm wrong but used car salesmen and exterminators give me the willies. Thanks. Dave.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Oct 21, 2005, 03:19 PM
    I know what you mean about exterminators. I recently had to call one in but called a guy that went to my church. He was very informative and honest. He wwas able to tell me certain areas that needs prevention and certain areas that didn't. Of course, mine I should have done the prevention. He uses a Borax which is guaranteed for 10 years. He said it would cost $400 to put it down. I'm only telling you this to reassure you that there are some honest guys out there. Also, to give you a heads up on how much you might be looking at. It will probably be different in your area. Be careful of the national known companies. They may be honest, but they also might be considerably higher. Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2005, 03:23 PM
    Thanks jduke44. I really appreciate you thoughts about your experience.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Oct 22, 2005, 03:44 PM
    We had termites in our house about a year ago. We never noticed until we went to remodel the one basement room and tore things apart. We saw it was simply one main support that seemed to be infested.

Thankfully though, we called Erlich (a friend of mine runs the Pennsylvania branches) and they pointed out that many other areas of the house had been affected by termites in the past, which we were not aware of. We went with the plan, which wasn't too bad considering all of things they had to do, and the problem has been solved and they have a limited guarantee for the next few years.

In my opinion, you can try to replace the affected areas, but there may be other areas that could also be affected that you are not aware of. Also, if you get an exterminator, they will do it the right way (if they are honest) so you hopefully won't have any more problems in the future.

Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

Who pays for termite exterminator in condo? [ 1 Answers ]

I live on the top floor of a 36-unit condo and recently discovered the droppings of drywood termites that had been pushed out of a small hole at the top of the wall in my bedroom. This is in the corner next to the wall that is facing the street, with an exterior building overhang a few feet out...

View more questions Search