Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aubreyana83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
    I want to relinquish my parental rights
    I am a man in albuquerque New Mexico who would like to give up my parental rights, is that possible?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 9, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Yeah, but you'll still be responsible for child support.

You won't be able to make any decisions as far as education or medical for example, but you will still be financially responsible to help pay for the life that you made.
    trishatony Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aubreyana83
    I am a man in albuquerque new mexico who would like to give up my parental rights, is that possible?
    Yes
    SHPS Posts: 23, Reputation: 4

Oct 9, 2007, 05:08 PM
    As stated by J_9, you can give up your rights, but you are still responsible for that child. The only way you relinquish financial liability is if the child is adopted (ie, mom remarries and new hubby wants to adopt child). So really, all you are accomplishing by terminating your rights is losing the right to have a say so in the child's life. And I am not positive, but I think you give up any visitation/ custody rights as well.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Why do you want to do this? What do you think it will get you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquish Parental Rights [ 14 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old son that I have had custody of, he has been ticketed and arrested 3 times in the past 4 months for drug usage and has had my now 10 year old try marijuana, I have sent him to live with Dad since this last arrest. I do not want my son to return to my home, I am afraid my...

Relinquish parental rights [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of North Carolina how does a father voluntary relinquish his parental rights and give all rights to the mother?

Relinquish parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

His ex-girlfriend is trying to get more money out of him for child support. He is already tapped out. He feels if he gives her any more money he won't have anything to give his little girl when he has her. He feels that if she gets more money out of him that he will have to give his daughter up...

Relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My step son-in-law says he is going to give up complete rights to his children. The mother would have sole responsibility. Can he do that in Mississippi?

Voluntary relinquish parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I separated years ago, and during the separation, I lived with another man and we now have a six year old. My husband has since divorced me, and we never claimed my son during the divorce, we need to know how to go about getting his rights voluntarily relinquished, and have my son's...

View more questions Search