Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alana1970 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Summons on credit card
    I received a summons on Saturday for an old credit card debt with a bank. I am currently unemployed since Oct. 2004 and have no property. What can happen at court? Can they garnish my husbands wages for my debt. I live in Queens, NY
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 04:20 AM
    File Notice of Intent to Defend, and go to the hearing, they must prove you signed the contract , they must have the original contract, they must show you defaulted on the alleged debt.

If you are on the account with your husband they can garnish that account, have him open a account in his name only.

Oct 10, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Debt validation
    Can I still send a letter to the collection agency about debt validation even if they served me with a summons on Saturday. I am going to the court on Friday to fill out some form so they can give me a court date? What am I supposed to put on this form? There is a little box that says general discussion a number 2 with lines a number 3 with counterclaim.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2007, 07:04 AM
    You simply state that you are not sure this is your debt and you need to verification. Send a copy of what you file with the court to the collector demanding verification.

Oct 10, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Made a mistake
    Sorry. I didn't receive a summons from collection agency but from the credit card company the summons is from there lawyers. I was wondering can I call the attorneys or bank and try to settle with them or make payment installments or should I just go to court. There isn't much they can get out of me because I don't work and own no property or have a bank account so I guess settling would be best for them. I would rather not have to deal with court problems. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
    First, please do not keep starting new threads for the same issue. I've merged all your threads into this one. Any further follow-up should be posted as an answer to this thread.

It doesn't matter who the summons is from. You can offer to settle, but they probably will not settle for a payment plan unless the monthly payment is significant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Responding to credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

I received a summons while I was away on vacation. It says I had 20 days to respond to it. It was already ten days past when I got the summons. My wife took it for me while she was home. It is for a credit card debt that says I owe so much money on. I haven't received any other letters from this...

Credit card summons [ 2 Answers ]

I have sreviced a summons for a credit card debt and I would like to respond with a motion to discoer.. how do I do that and would it prolong the case?

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

If there is a judgement against me in California and all I get is social security 697.00 direct deposit can the lawyers take it and also I have a97 chevy cavalier in my name and my 41 yr old daughter has a 2002 chevy tahoe thatis under her name and mine can they take her s and mine idont have any...

Credit Card Summons [ 1 Answers ]

I posted this before and for some reason it was lost. I'll try again. First off, I have read in past postings it helps if I let you know what state and county I am in for a more accurate answer. I live in Jacksonville FL, Duval County. I received a summons (delivered via Jax Sheriff Office)...

Credit card summons [ 1 Answers ]

How can I challenge a credit card summons? I received a summons today for a credit card debt ($2,647) that I owe. The amount reported is mostly over the credit limit fee, late charges and accrued interest. I cannot afford to repay the debt at this time and definitely cannot afford wage garnishment...

View more questions Search