Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rvg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 11:33 AM
    Odd boot error / DVD drive problem.
    Hello all.

I've a dual boot XP/RH9 system selected via GRUB. Recently I found that opening and reclosing the media draw on a Pioneer A06 DVD rewriter (secondary master) would cause an abnormal reboot. The Acer DVD player also on the machine causes no such error.

OK so I need to change the Pioneer DVD rewriter. Now the fun begins...

If I remove the Pioneer DVD rewriter the system won't boot. It won't even get as far as trying to boot from a floppy (set as 1st boot device in the BIOS). It just hangs with a black screen and the power LED flashing.

I've tried to amend the BIOS of the Asus A7N8X-VM motherboard:
    Setting the Acer to secondary master, Pioneer to secondary slave.
    Removing DVD players from the boot options.
    Setting the Pioneer as 'Not Installed'.

In all cases the system goes to GRUB and then boots normally if the Pioneer is installed but fails if I remove the DVD rewriter.

Puzzled.

Any thoughts?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2005, 12:00 PM
    Have you trying setting all drives in the BIOS to Auto?

Oct 19, 2005, 12:25 PM
    Yes, indeed. Auto detection of all primary/secondary master/slave drives was how I initially set the system up.

Nov 7, 2005, 12:34 PM
    Resolution
    Turns out that it was a PSU problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

ThinkPad boot problem [ 2 Answers ]

WHen I try to boot my ThinkPad I get the error "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". I have not had problems in past nor have I made any recent changes. Any suggestions to get back on line. My OS is windows XP PRofessional

Win XP IE Boot up Error with script [ 2 Answers ]

I receive this error message when booting up. I ignore it and everything seems to work, but I'd like to get this fixed. Any assistance with this error: http://search.aol.com/aolcom/search?invocationType=TB20&query=%7BD30C1661-CDAF-11D0-8A3E-00C04FC9E26E%7D& Obviously it has something to...

CD Drive Error [ 4 Answers ]

I recently formatted and installed Windows 2000 in an older PC. Whenever I boot up and try to access my cd driver in explorer, it gives me this error: The cd is not formatted. Format Now? It doesn't matter if I click yes or no, it still won't read the cd. It is recognized in explorer. I tried...

View more questions Search