Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m1lo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Cross-Eyed Puppy
    Hi Guys,

I recently bought a maltese shi tzu puppy. However, it's cross eyed (reversed) - its eyes roll outwards instead of inwards.

It appears to occur on both eyes (but not at the same time). I know that sounds ridiculously normal but I'll give you an example:

If the puppy was looking left, it's left eye would move left (outwards) as normal but the right eye would remain looking forward but only slightly looking towards the left. And vice versa towards the right. It appears that each eye does not roll in equal proportions as what's considered normal.

The breeder has assured me that it's a common and normal occurrence for these breeds of dog (which I'm not sure I believe).

The puppy is a 7 week old, has gone to the VET and received treatment for DISTEMPER, HEPATITIS and PARVOVIRUS (I received a copy of the VET records). The VET advised the breeder it was healthy - but what about its eyes!

My main question is, do you think the puppy will grow out of this? I don't want to spend money to go to the VET (just to check the eyes out) as the breeder has given me an option to choose another dog. I would feel really bad to give it back, but at the same time don't want a cross eyed dog if I keep it!

I need your help.. or your opinions. (Any Vets out there?)

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 06:18 AM
    I don't like the sounds of it. Although I am very good at helping care for well bred puppies, I live in a bit of an ivory tower and lack experience with much of what is being sold out there. It sounds to me like what the breeder is saying is that they didn't bother to select the best breeding stock avoiding common defects. Their breeding stock may well have other physical or temperament problems. Time after time I have suggested somebody neuter a male that was marking in the house. They answer, ''No, I am going to breed him.'' Then the people buying their puppies fight the same thing. So I am afraid money may be a higher priority for your breeder than quality puppies.

Be nice if Bugscor showed up. He is a retired vet that answered a few questions last week. RubyPitbull has a lot of real world experience too.

I think the logical thing to do is to try to return the puppy and get your money back. I have zero confidence in the breeder. We are not creatures of logic. Even if it doesn't grow out of being cross eyed, it may make a fine pet and be a joy for many years. I think the treatments were shots. It will need another round of shots in 2-3 weeks. If your breeder suggested otherwise, that is another strike against them. Check the date the shots were given and call the vet you intend to use. See when they want to give the next one. Ask about the eye problem. They may give you a little info without asking you to bring it in, but likely will.

For what I am good at, see the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    katieperez Posts: 236, Reputation: 35

Oct 9, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Labman is so very right as usual. Sounds like a real sketchy breeder if you ask me. When the breeder said it was normal, she may have meant it's a normal defect. Breeding puppies should never be a crap shoot, but sadly, the majority of puppies brought into this world are a product of greed and ignorance. I'm not saying this puppy can't live a long happy life, but if you're uncomfortable with the pup, I wouldn't recommend getting an alternate pup from the same breeder. Just get your money back. Or of course, you can keep the puppy and take him to the vet and see what they have to say. May be a very minor fix or something he'll outgrow. Whichever, best of luck to you and little crazy eyes:D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Brown Eyed Girl [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting married in a few weeks and I really want my make-up to look and last well. :) I have dark brown hair, brown eyes (a bit of Gold in them), my skin is tan for the wedding with Golden undertones. Any advice on make-up line for semi-dry skin, as well as shades of eye shadows that...

Cross elasticity [ 1 Answers ]

Pioneer, a major competitor, sells 50-inch Plasma TV for MSRP base price of $3,689, and assume that before Sony’s proposed price cut, 180,000 units of Pioneer 50-inch Plasma TV were sold in a week. If the cross price elasticity of demand between Sony 46-inch LCD TV and Pioneer 50-inch Plasma TV is...

Cross eyed pug puppy [ 1 Answers ]

My male pug puppy is 8 weeks old and we just got him yesterday. He appears to be cross eyed - except the opposite way i.e. his eyes both roll to the outer sides. The owner we bought him from said that this would resolve itself as he grows up but I just wanted a second opinion!

Cross-over skills [ 7 Answers ]

It has long been recognized that skill sets from other sports can aid and enhance one's main sport. Does anyone have experiences to share related to using skills learned from other sports to enhance their main sport?

View more questions Search