Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Niki B Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Oct 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
    How to Choose New Hvac system
    My current system is 10 years old. Apparently I need a new one. There is a leak somewhere in the outside coil that's not repairable.

I currently have a 10 year old gas furnace both units are Trane. I live in southern Florida. House is 1400 -1450 sq ft.

I'm on a tight budget. I am looking at a Trane 14 SEER XR 13 variable speed with heat pump or a Grandair 16 SEER. The Trane has the old freon and the Grandiar has the Puron type.

I've never heard of Grandair. Do I go with Grandair to get higher SEER or go with Trane because of their name? They are both around the same price. What about Frigidare?

What am I missing? Do I need to ask anything else? Both have 10 year parts and labor. Is that important to pay extra for?

I'm a woman and I am not entirely clueless but close.

Niki
    wheatnbarley24 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Grandaire equipment is made by nordyne which makes a number of different units frigidare being on of them, if I were you id go with the trane 14 seer if it is within your price range, nordyne is much more cheaper made than trane

Oct 8, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wheatnbarley24
    grandaire equipment is made by nordyne which makes a number of different units frigidare being on of them, if i were you id go with the trane 14 seer if it is within your price range, nordyne is much more cheaper made than trane
    That was my first thought but the Grandair has a higher SEER rating and comes with a 10 year parts and service warranty and that's about as long as these systems last in Florida.

So if anyone is an HVAC person with experience with these units I'd appreciate it. I've also heard that Tranes are overpriced. So so confused.
    corydec Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Oct 8, 2007, 05:22 PM
    I have installed both units trane is over priced but it is also a better unit than grandaire . I would ask the havc tech for prices on whirlpool gold. Whirlpool gold is a well built system for it's price and it offers 10 year parts and labor. Your hvac tech can get whirlpool from the same dealer he gets grandaire so it should not be a big deal
    hvac-r rookie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Hi Niki, I would go with the best warranty. Trane and carrier make good units but I think they are over priced:eek: Fell out the different companies in your area, quotes are free[usually] you would be amazed at how much they vary, pick a company with a good service record. Good luck, Victor

Oct 10, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by corydec
    i have installed both units trane is over priced but it is also a better unit than grandaire . i would ask the havc tech for prices on whirlpool gold. whirlpool gold is a well built system for it's price and it offers 10 year parts and labor. your hvac tech can get whirlpool from the same dealer he gets grandaire so it should not be a big deal

Thanks for your help. I chose the "safe" route. I purchased a Trane XR13 2.5 ton 14 SEER unit with a heat pump (I live in south florida). I also purchased a 10 year parts and labor warranty. It's being installed today. The gave me 16 months "same as cash terms" which works out great for me. The entire system was just under 5K so I think I got a fair deal if not a great deal.

The other dealers that gave me quotes were only a few hundred dollars less expensive and they were for Grandaire and Frigidare 14-16 seer units with a gas furnace. I thought the Trane would give me the most reliability and a little energy savings. It's my understanding the swapping out my gas furnace for a heat pump may increase my heating costs but I only turn it on maybe 5-10 days a year.

Niki

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does a shared HVAC system between condos effect a unit's thermostat? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a brand new home owner after purchasing a condo in Alexandria, VA, and I'm already enjoying the responsibility of dealing with home ownership issues. :rolleyes: Here's the issue. The condos were built in 1974 and are definitely beginning to show their age. Each building shares an HVAC...

I can't choose! [ 7 Answers ]

Well. I work at a restaurant and there are three guys there who have caught my attention in different ways. The first is Divinci (not really I changed all of their names). Divinci is really fun and outgoing and crazy. We always have a lot of fun during work. He is 25. The next is Carrot (lol)...

Choosing HVAC system [ 2 Answers ]

I am doing a rehab on a three-unit multi-family row house in Baltimore. What is the best HVAC system to consider and why?

View more questions Search